[Flower Husbands Pt. 2]

Start from the beginning

He made a note in his head to get up earlier often. The sun wasn't fully up yet, but it was stretching dim, golden rays across the misty swamp, lighting up the water. The glow berries hanging from the weeping willows hadn't dimmed out yet, which gave the swamp this strange feeling of something like the seam between day and night; a strange limbo of quiet. It slightly unnerved him as he walked through the silence, but it also filled him with a sense of awe. Soon enough, he spotted a pond that he recognized as the one where him and Scott had met. His heart thumped in his chest as he went around the glassy surface of the water to sit on the little ledge overlooking the swamp.

He fiddled with the fins on the end of his tail, as he always did when he was excited or nervous, although today it was all of the above. He then began to hum, looking at his reflection in the water. He suddenly jumped in surprise as a familiar face appeared in the reflection behind him. He turned quickly to see Scott standing above him, smiling brightly. "Morning, Jimmy!" he said happily, and Jimmy grinned. "Hello, Scott," he replied, already feeling his cheeks go red. "How are you today?"

Scott seemed to think about this for a moment. "Quite all right, actually. Better now that you're here," he said, almost sounding shy. Jimmy blinked, blushing. "Oh, uh- I'm glad I could make you happy," he stammered, beaming like an idiot. Scott nodded and sat down beside Jimmy, who looked down awkwardly. "So...how long do you have until you have to be back?" he asked, swinging his legs back and forth. "Until sunset," Scott replied. "My parents think I'm collecting flower samples." The cyan-haired prince stuck his tongue out in a disgusted fashion. Jimmy chuckled. "You don't like flowers?" he asked. "Oh, no, I like flowers just fine," Scott replied quickly, waving his hands. "I just don't enjoy studying them, per say." Jimmy made a 'hm' noise. "I don't really know much about flowers, with me living underwater and all," he admitted, shrugging. "I know plenty about fish, and crystals, too. That's what my parents think I'm doing; adding to my amethyst collection." Scott laughed. "What boring things our parents think we're doing," he giggled, and Jimmy laughed too.

"What should we do today, then?" Jimmy asked, tapping his tail thoughtfully. "I have until supper, which is at about five thirty. So we have..." He took a moment to count on his webbed fingers. (not me actually having to stop writing to count on my fingers-) "Around ten and a half hours," he concluded after he'd finished counting. "I think." Scott's eyes widened a bit. "That's quite a long time..." he said. Jimmy smirked. "What, don't want to be stuck with me for that long?" he joked, and Scott shook his head quickly. "No, no, I'd love to be with you for a whole day, I just...don't know what we would do for ten hours," he explained, his brow furrowed in thought. He didn't seem to notice how his words had made Jimmy blush.

The two princes sat in thought for a moment. "What if we do some of both?" Scott suggested, and Jimmy looked over at him curiously. "What do you mean?" he asked. "Well," Scott said, his wings tilting back ever so slightly, "we could do a bit of flower collecting and a bit of crystal mining, and then do something fun." "But collecting flowers and finding crystals is booooring," Jimmy whined, and Scott snorted. "But, we have each other for company, so it won't be as bad." Jimmy smiled and went a little red. "Yes, I suppose so," he said, looking up at Scott with a small smile. Scott smiled back, and Jimmy took into account that the Rivendell prince's cheeks were a bit rosy as well.

X-x-X

And so off they went, to go flower collecting first. It turns out, Scott had a book filled with many kinds of flowers that he needed to find, so they left the swamp and quickly found a lucky flower field, to their surprise. As they roamed across the field, they talked about anything and everything, but they sort of ignored Scott's kiss from the day before.

They ended up finding quite a few flowers in Scott's book, and Scott taught Jimmy a bit about what they knew. "We grow all kinds of flowers in Rivendell," Scott had explained, cradling a baby-blue flower in his hands. "We use them to make medicines, but mostly for decoration. They're also the source of our magic." Jimmy's eyes had widened a bit. "Really?" he'd asked, and then he'd watched in awe as the flower glowed slightly and Scott's wings and eyes had lit up and shimmered like embers in a dying fire. Then the flower had dimmed again, but Scott stayed glowing. Jimmy had absentmindedly reached towards Scott's glowing wings, but then pulled back when he had realized what he was doing. Scott had smiled at him, and then continued explaining, but Jimmy would never forget the bright smile that Scott had given him, while his eyes sparkled with golden magic.