12) Rainy Streets

xii : Rainy Streets

Rain poured down around them as the duo sat under the safety of a bus station bench. Avery had her knees pulled up to her chest, pulling at her shirt sleeves in an attempt to cover her hands as Marcus pulled off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. 

"What about you?" She had to yell in order to be heard over the heavy sheet of rain falling around them. "You need it more," he yelled back before smirking, "Plus we can always resort to body heat if need be!" Avery scoffed yet moved closer to the boy, gently pushing his head down onto her shoulder before wrapping the jacket around him as well. 

Marcus grinned, grabbing onto the girl's hand as she leaned her head back against the bench and watched the water fall above her.

"I have a stupid idea," she suddenly spoke after a minute. "A rarity it is," the boy sarcastically replied. She flicked him in the forehead before shrugging off his jacket. "Hey! If this is because of what I said I'm sorry. Just put the jacket back before you get sick-" 

She stood up and his eyes widened at the sight of the girl standing in the rain and holding her hand out to him. "Will you dance with me?" Marcus laughed, "What is this? Some sort of romance book?" "You wish," fog was left in the air whenever Avery spoke, her hand shaking as she regretted stepping into the rain. "Will you dance with me or what? I'm getting cold." 

He huffed, acting as though he didn't want to join her as he pulled off his hoodie before taking her hand. She quickly pulled him closer to herself, burying her face in the crook of his neck as he awkwardly stood there. What should he do? It's not like he was ever taught how to dance. 

His worries were brushed to the side as Avery took his hands and placed them on her waist before swaying side to side. "When you said dance this isn't what I was expecting," Marcus admitted as the two slow danced on the empty street. 

"Would you rather jump around like some hoodlums?" He let out a shaky breath and tried burying his face against her shoulder to stop the water that was falling onto his face. "Sure. It's gotta be warmer right?" 

He regretted it the moment she pulled away from him. She was warm and it was nice to hug her. Yet he had been the one to bring up the idea of pulling away from each other. "Idiot," he thought. 

Avery rolled her eyes when he stood still and watched her jump around. She took his hands and continued jumping, her smile widening when he finally joined in. Soon enough the two were laughing while grinning at the other. "You were right," he laughed, "This is your stupidest idea!" "But it's fun," she shouted back. "Maybe!" 

When the rain started clearing the duo took their places back on the bench, ringing the water out of their hair and clothes while continuing to laugh. When Marcus reached for his jacket he rolled his eyes at the sight of Avery already wearing it, the old windbreaker looking like a blanket on her as it hid her arms and ended at her mid thigh. Instead of trying to get it back he shrugged on his hoodie and messed with his hair. 

Avery giggled. "What?" "You look like a wet rat," she practically wheezed, doubling over at the sight of the mop that now sat atop his head. "Fuck off," he laughed before looking back at her. "You look like Rapunzel." "Thanks, Arguello," she grinned, taking his attempted insult as a compliment. 

Marcus shook his head and leaned over to the girl, fishing a pack of cigarettes out of the pocket along with a lighter. As he lit the small stick she quietly reached over to take it from him. "Hey," he whined. He hadn't even gotten a chance to lift it to his lips yet. She rolled her eyes as she blew out a puff of smoke before setting the cigarette between his lips. "There. Now you look like a teenage dirtbag." 

He chuckled, "Sure, Ave."