26

I can't wipe the smile off my face on the way to the restaurant

I can't wipe the smile off my face on the way to the restaurant. I was really doing this. Marrying the man that I love. Granted, he hasn't said it back yet, but I know he does, right?

Entering the restaurant, it's already midday, and it's packed.

"Boss lady, welcome back." Janet smiles, greeting me. "You're glowing. It must be because of that handsome man." She whispers.

"Let's go talk in my office. Is henry in the kitchen?" I ask, and she nods her head. I tell her to go get him and meet me in my office. I wasn't sure what I would say about not being here for Caribbean weekend, but I know it won't be the truth. Henry and I dated, and while we broke up years ago...letting him know I'm eloping isnt right. Also, it's none of his business. I move to my office and get stopped by a regular customer.

"Helena darling, I haven't seen you in a while, and you're absolutely glowing. I guess the articles are true." Mrs. Cordley, an elderly lady, smiles warmly at me.

"What article?" I have yet to check my phone for the day. Because I was down to less than half a battery, I didn't charge it last night or this morning.

"You're marrying that Beckett boy." She answers. What the hell? I politely tell her I'll be back and move quickly to my office. Oh no. How did—what did Tristan do? I power up my laptop and pull out my phone, searching for my name. And just like that, a ton of articles appear. Tristan Beckett to wed International Chef Helena Mathis. It's Getting Hott in the Kitchen for Helena Mathis and her soon-to-be husband, Tristan Beckett. A Kitchen Fairytale: Could Helena Mathis be pregnant with Tristan Beckett's baby? The articles go on and on, and the titles get more ridiculous than the next. Then I spot the one I know started it all. Opal Inc article, they broke the news. While I'm happy that they cleared the air about Antonella and Tristan, I wasn't anywhere near delighted that our engagement was announced.

I don't have to guess how Henry handles it much longer because he enters my office without Janet, locking the door behind him. I groan, rubbing my temples. This is not what I wanted. This is not what I planned, and I do not understand the logic behind what Tristan did. I thought he wanted to keep everything low until after we said our I Do.

"You're marrying him," Henry says, slamming his fist on my desk. I take a deep breath, slowly looking him in the eyes. "Are you fucking marrying him?"

"Henry, can we not do this? We have to go over the plans and schedule for tomorrow's—"

"I don't want to talk about the fucking restaurant. I want to know if what the articles are saying is true. I don't want to believe it, but the way you been acting lately—"

"Henry, if I was getting married, why is it any of your business? We aren't together anymore, and the restaurant is doing great, so my personal life isnt affecting nor hurting anyone." I snap.