3

"I need to get some appetizers out!" I storm the kitchen

"I need to get some appetizers out!" I storm the kitchen. "What the hell is going on? Where are the scallops?" I look over at Paine. "How long?"

"Two minutes Chef!" He continues to work as fast as he could. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are busy at Lena's. The dinner rush is insane and fuck-ups aren't allowed in my kitchen. I already sent back three appetizers for being undercooked. Paine knows he is on my shit list.

"Paine!"

"Coming right now, Chef!"

He brings the tray over and I want to kick him in the groin.

"Everyone stop what you're doing and look at this! I said stop!" The kitchen quiets down and everyone walks toward me. "Touch the scallops. They're overcooked, what the fuck are we doing in this kitchen? Go!" I throw the tray in the trash.

"Chef." Janet, the kitchen manager pulls me to the side. "There is a man out here, wanting to talk to you."

"Did he say what he wanted? Now isn't a great time for me to leave the kitchen. Just give him a seat at the bar and I'll be out shortly." I turn away from her. I glance at the shrimp that is headed towards the service window. I get to it before, Naheemah does. I open one and it's raw on the inside. These fucking idiots are going to work my last nerve tonight and the night rush just began.

"Who's cooking the shrimp?"

"Me Chef!" I look over at Jackson.

"Come here!" I snap. For the past two weeks he has been royally fucking up and I have been going easy on him since his wife just had their first child, but this is unacceptable. "Look, these aren't cooked! Why would I serve people uncooked food? Would you eat this shit?" I look at him and he shakes his head no. "So why would you let another eat it? One more fuck up and you're done for the night." I walk off tossing the shrimp too. The scallops are next to being served. I flip them over and sigh.

"Who made these scallops?" I shout turning to the kitchen.

"I did Chef!" Paine shouts back.

"Great job, they're cooked stunningly."

"Thank you, Chef!" He smiles a little turning back to his station.

Over the next thirty minutes, everyone got into a good routine and the entrees were coming out perfect. Paine and Gaston's fish entrees were getting high praises. Zoey poultry dishes were stunning as always. The kitchen was running smooth. No fuck ups and Emma's desserts were getting praised to the highest extent. 

However, I'm not praising the team yet not until the night is over.

"Chef?" Janet walks back into the kitchen. "That man is still waiting out by the bar for you."

"Shit." I rush to the door. "Henry, you're in charge until I get back!"

"Che-Helena he is more of an apron-off kind of guy." Janet nods to the other door.