11

I don't know what happened to Tristan, but after my first day being his chef, he told me I didn't need to show up anymore

 I don't know what happened to Tristan, but after my first day being his chef, he told me I didn't need to show up anymore. My first thought was because I wouldn't spend the night with him, but he told me something at work came up, and it wouldn't be fair to keep me at his place, and I wasn't cooking anything. I believed him because he left his home office; he seemed different. Upset even. So over the past two days, I've physically been back at the restaurant. However, my mind and thoughts have been with Tristan. I wonder if he is doing okay.

"Chef." Janet peeks her head into the kitchen. Tonight is a busy night for us. My famous Lena special is back on the menu for a limited time. "Chef." She urges me to come toward her.

"What is it?"

"A few patrons are waiting for their food. A man said he has been waiting nearly thirty minutes for his." She exhales.

"What did he order?"

"Lena's special. Everyone who is waiting ordered that." She looked unsure if she wanted to tell me this.

"Tell them sorry for the wait. Offer complimentary drinks, and I'll see what is happening. Thank you." I move across the kitchen, looking at the order notes. You have got to be kidding me.

"Lena's special!" I shout to the kitchen. I watch Paine and Orion glance at each other before one speaks.

"Chef, we ran out of Lena's special." Paine stutters.

"What the fuck do you mean!" I snap. "We have five customers with them on order!"

"We ran out of Dover sole." Orion chimes in.

I count down from ten, closing my eyes. I need not to curse out my staff. I need to be more understanding. There is no way we ran out of Dover sole that I know for a fact. I tell Paine to follow me, showing him the container with more Dover soles.

"I'm sorry, Chef." He grabs the container and heads back to the kitchen. I walk to his station, keeping my voice low.

"You're starting to make me regret hiring you. One more fuck up, and you will be gone. If I wanted to babysit, I would ask to watch your newborn child, not you." I walk off.

Henry walks into the kitchen, and I take that as my cue to walk out. We haven't stayed in the kitchen or each other presence for more than ten minutes with one another, and it's for the best. He still hasn't apologized for what he said that day, and if he thinks not bringing it up, I will forget about it. He is dead wrong. Taking off my chef coat, I walk into the restaurant, checking in on the patrons. I make sure to hit the tables waiting on the Lena's special, offering my deepest sincere apology.

I near another table filled with laughter; that's always great to see patrons having a good time. Now wish I didn't stop at this table. Tristan is sitting there with six other guys. Damn, are all his friends handsome. I clear my throat, capturing everyone's attention.