Part Nine

I returned to the apartment after I had a minute to collect my thoughts. She had gone into her bedroom and shut the door. Crap. 

"Hailey?" I said softly while knocking. She didn't answer so I went in, she was sitting on her bed.

"What do you want Asher?" She said her voice was laced with confusion. You. Stop, get that out for your head. I'm going to kill her, I need to, for Allison.  

"Nothing I guess."

"Is it because you work for me?" She asked.

"Yes." 

"Then why did you kiss me back?"

"I don't know." I truly didn't know why I had.

"I am just going to read a book then go to bed." With that Hailey turned away, dismissing me almost, so I left. I just listened to music for a while then fell asleep on the couch.

"Allison!" It was pitch black, I could hear her crying, but I couldn't find her. Suddenly, the lights flashed on, and she was. I tried to run towards her but when I got close I couldn't move and believe me I tried. She was suspended in the air, o pool of was red at her feet. Blood was trickling down her slit wrists and she was gasping for air. 

"Asher!" Someone yelled in the distance.

"Please don't leave me! Allison!" I screamed, but she couldn't hear me. I heard her gasp for her last breath, then it went dark. 

"Asher, wake up!" I shot up and went to grab my gun,  but I saw Hailey kneeling next to me and stopped.

"Hey, you are okay. It was just a dream" She said, she rested her hand on my thigh and I could tell she was shaking, I had scared her.

"I'm good. You should go get some rest." I told her.

"Nope. Not til I know you are okay."

"I'm good." I reassured her.

"I can't sleep, can you sleep with me again?" She asked but I could tell she just wanted to keep an eye on me. Her voice suggested she wasn't taking no for an answer so I agreed. 

*****

"Can we go visit Jax?" She asked while putting a bit of cereal in her mouth.

"Yeah, its just barley morning so we should wait an hour." She nodded. We both ate, showered, and got ready then we left for the hospital. We'll that's where she thinks we were going.
My stomach had a giant pit in it as I made the first wrong turn to the abandoned house in the middle of nowhere.

"Mind if I ask you a question Asher?"

"Shoot."

"Who's is Allison?" Should've seen that one coming!

"She was a client of mine."

"Did something happen?" Your father happened.

"We got close, and she died because of it. I let my guard down and she was killed because of it. I could have stopp-"

"Ash. I know you well enough to know you did everything you could." She placed her hand on mine in reassurance.

"Not quite." I muttered, but she didn't hear.

"Did you catch the people responsible for her death."

"No, I haven't, karma will catch up to him though." She nodded. If only she knew. She laughed nervously.

"Think you got us lost Asher."

"No, I just wanted to show you something." She relaxed as I pulled into the grass of an old house and came around to open the door. She looked like she wanted to say something but didn't. When we got up to the door I motioned for her to go in, then I grabbed the handcuffs out of my pocket before grabbing one of her hands and cuffing it. She just looked confused, she started screaming when I drug her a chair in the middle of the floor. She fought, but I easily overpowered her. As I forced her to sit down I cuffed her other hand in between the bars of the chair. The other day I had bolted the chair down to the floor, so she wasn't getting out.

"Asher, this isn't funny! Just let me go." She pleaded as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I'm sorry, I really am Hailey, but I have to." I pulled out my gun and aimed it at her head.

"Oh, God. Asher, please." She started to cry more, I needed to just get this over with, so I cocked the gun.

"I'm an idiot! I thought someone  actually cared about me and wasn't just using me for my fathers money!  You might as well shoot me!" She laughed. She's losing it.
My hand was shaking so bad I was hardly pointing it at her.

"I don't care about the money."

"Then why? Am I that annoying?" She was still laughing.

"No, you aren't. I just can't let him get away with it!" I shouted.

"What?"

"Your father. He had Allison killed and the baby. He has to pay."

"He couldn't! What?"

"His drug was killing people and she was going to the press." I took aim and closed my eyes. Just pull the trigger. Pull it. I dropped my gun to the side and just screamed.

"I'm sorry." I can't do this anymore, I wanted to be done. I picked my gun back up and put it to my temple, I had failed Allison. I had failed our child. I had failed Hailey. And I had failed myself.

"Asher! Just stop! Please just put the gun down and stop."

"Why do you care?"

"Cause I like you okay. You make my life not miserable. I need you okay. Please just put it down." I nodded then went to untie her, I wasn't going to make her watch. She sighed with relief.

"Police! Put your hands up now!" Screamed a guy. Hailey started sobbing as I put my hands up in surrender. This wasnt how it was supposed to be, but I had fallen for her. I'm sorry Allison, I couldn't do it.

Word Count: 996