Chapter Eleven

Gentle fingers trailed over my cheeks, gathering and wiping away tears. I wanted to pull away from him, but he's---he's so warm. Light burned at my eyes, even through they were closed. All I could smell was the ocean.

"My beautiful girl," he mumbled. "You're safe." 

The bed creaked, and he tightened his arms around me. A soft hum came from him, echoing and bouncing around me. Things weren't right. It was too loud but too quiet. Too fast but too slow. Everything was stuck in a painful in-between state. Thinking made my head pulse. My body wouldn't listen as I tried to shove away.

"Sh. I know. If I could make it hurt less, I would." He guided me up. I tried to focus on the solid hand on my back. I--I couldn't. It blurred in and out, and I knew it was there but--but then it wasn't and--

Nectar trickled into my mouth. Half of it ran out of my--slack? clenched? why can't i tell why can't i tell -- mouth.

"Careful now." He wiped my chin. "You need to drink a lot to make sure this goes well." A part of him curled around my side, holding me together a bit more. "I can't do this as well as what the entire council would be able to." He settled next to me again, holding me close.

I blindly pawed at him, trying to figure out where my limbs ended. What my limbs were was another matter.

"I'm right here." Pressure on the back of what I thought was my head startled me, and my eyes opened. I slammed them shut. Everything was one big after image. With it came splitting pain. Dad hushed me.

"Hurts."

"I know. I know, baby. But it'll stop soon, and you'll never have to hurt again." He pulled my hands to his face before nuzzling me. "You'll be able to relax. Maybe take a nice long nap? I remember wanting to take one. No worrying, no fears, just sweet sleep for as long as you want.

"You could stay in my palace and sleep, or you could just let the currents take you where they want. Sleep in the woods. Nothing will be able to hurt you again." Conviction and relief filled his voice. I grimaced, squirmed, and moved my hands to my ears. Pain wasn't altered. And maybe I wanted to hurt.

"Ah, no." Dad caught my wrists. "None of that, Percy. It'll just make it worse."

I keened until his presence overwhelmed me and darkness consumed my vision.

A short chapter, but a necessary one

Anyway, I've got finals coming up, so wish me luck

See yah