𝕏

Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

          MY FATHER'S JOURNALS COULDN'T COMPARE TO THE true beauty of the kingdom. I realised this during my trip to the castle grounds. On the second day of my visit, Christian had introduced me to my lady maids, Prima and Lila, who would help assist Genevieve, seeing as she was still learning the routes of the castle. They were eager to show us the grounds whilst Christian attended his daily meetings. A part of me didn't want him to go, but when he reached out and brushed his thumb against my cheek, a silent promise in his eyes, I let him go. 

Whilst my maids dressed me, my eyes would drift out the window, watching the wolves that roamed the castle grounds. Though their expressions were hard, there was this warmth which only brightened their face. Under the sun, their bronze skin gleamed. Christian's skin was darker than caramel, a beautiful sheen of brown that I couldn't tear my eyes away from. Faes tend to be quite pale or ivory, but Aurealias were different. Though my own skin was a sunkissed brown, it didn't quite compare to Christian's, so rich with melanin.

"You are truly beautiful, Your Majesty," Prima murmured, my cheeks becoming as red as her hair. "The King is incredibly lucky."

"I agree," Lila chirped, sending me a grin as she buttoned the gown.

I thanked them, smiling to myself, glancing at the empty space beside my place on the bed. Yesterday, Christian had left me for the remainder of the evening, allowing me time to settle whilst he attended to his work. I found myself not wanting to leave his presence after dinner, but I knew some time of part would give me a moment to think.

"May I ask you something?" I began and the girls both stopped what they were doing immediately, giving me their full attention. I hesitated. "Does it trouble you that I am not a wolf?"

Lila gasped as if she was horrified by what I was asking whilst Prima shook her head, fervently.

"Not at all, Your Majesty," Prima drew her brows together. "Why would you ever think that?"

"It was just a concern," I hoped a smile would ease their worry, but they didn't look convinced. "I had thought that my being an Aurelia would bother you."

"You're a gift to our realm," Lila explained, her big blue eyes widening as she smiled. "The King has been a lonely man for too long and that has frozen his heart."

Prima fixed the colour of my gown. "You are the warmth that will thaw him. You will bring back light to this dark kingdom. Do not fret, Your Majesty. You are exactly what he needs."

My eyes welled with tears I blinked away, along with the doubt that sowed in my heart. Indeed, Christian has been alone for too long and loneliness tends to harden the heart. I would know. Maybe he was exactly what I needed, what my kingdom needed, to be alone to live peacefully and in prosperity. Similarly, maybe I was what his kingdom needed, what he needed, in order to recover from the damage of the Great War. Maybe together we could build a better and happier place.