20. "More Important Obligations?!"

Start from the beginning

It is silent between us until I notice that her smile has since fallen and there is a worrisome look in her eyes.

"Is everything okay?" I decide to speak up.

She turns to face me, plastering a clearly fake smile onto her face.

"I have good news and bad news. Which would you prefer to hear first?"

"The bad news, please."

"Unfortunately, you're grades have slipped exponentially since the last time we met." She trails off.

"What are you saying?" I whisper out, feeling my heart constricting in my chest.

"I'm saying that you're chances of graduating in general are very slim, much less your chances of graduating a month early."

That sentence right there breaks my heart.

I knew that I had pushed off a few assignments in turn for spending more time with Courtney, but I didn't think that it would make that big of a difference.

"The good news, however, is that if you talk with your teachers about getting an extension on your missing assignments and really work hard the rest of the sem-ester you could graduate with your senior class."

The rest of the semester?

Graduate with my senior class?

"So, what you're saying is that there's no possible way for me to graduate a month early like we originally planned?" I question slowly, still in shock.

She gives me a sad smile as she shakes her head at my question.

"Realistically, it's too late in the semester for you to be able to have that privilege, Gillian." She tells me.

"Maybe if you maintained your 'A' streak we would be having a completely different conversation right now."

I want to cry.

I have prided myself in always turning in my assignments on time and maintaining my high grade point average, so hearing her say all of these things is very heartbreaking to me.

"Gillian," she leans forward onto her desk and clasps her fingers together.

"Have you been...distracted recently?"

I furrow my eyebrows at her question.

"Excuse me?" The question falls out of my mouth before I am able to stop it.

"Looking at your transcript, your grades have been extremely consistent until about two or three months ago."

Around the time that I began speaking to Courtney again.

"Have you been distracted recently? Stressed? If so, is it anything you would like to speak with me about?"

I shake my head.

"No, uh, I think that I'm just having on off month."

My guidance counselor nods her head.

"Don't let whatever is distracting you in your personal life affect your scholarship, Gillian. The college you chose rarely ever gives full rides and you got chosen for one!"

I nod my head.

"Okay, I'll talk to my teachers as soon as possible."

-

"What the fuck is this bitch's problem?!" Courtney yells out with outrage, pacing back and forth in front of my bed.

"I've known you since middle school and you have never failed a class in your entire life!"