"Okay," Millie whispered. She felt extremely guilty and also a little unnerved from her mother bringing up the most traumatic experience in her life at such a random time. Her cheeks flamed in embarrassment and a little anger. Millie understood her mother's concerns but hated the way she sometimes pitted her experience against her daughter's. "Sorry, mom."

"Don't be. I'll be in my room, come get me when he gets here." With that, Sandra retreated to her room and closed the door softly behind her.

Millie remained where her mother left her for a good five minutes. She was tying to breathe through the familiar but uncomfortable feelings that flushed through her whenever someone brought up her trauma. Numbness, shock, some anger, and a lick of denial tickled the back of her mind. Once again her cheeks flushed and she felt unreasonably hot. With another huff, she stood from the couch and went back to her room. Millie had always felt a minor dissonance between her and her mother. It might have been different before the accident, but that was too long ago to remember. Things had always been the same since: Millie tried to cope, and Sandra acted mostly like nothing happened. Until it benefitted her.

Shutting her door behind her, Millie went and flopped down on her bed. She tried to calm the racing of her heart from the change in position. Distantly she reached for her phone on the bedside table and lifted it over her face to peer at the screen. There were no missed calls or texts, and the battery was half full.

For some reason Millie was once again struck by the feeling of disconnection between her and the world around her. She never felt as if she fit in, no matter where she went. Granted they moved a lot, and it had only been a little over two months since she came to Montana. Millie was unbearably lonely all the time but never had the urge to complain about it. She was a resilient girl, strong and set in her footing. She wasn't a complainer, instead she lived with it or fixed it. But even that couldn't stop the feelings. If she really was a wolf, it seemed to be her last hope at fitting in. Especially since... She couldn't think that far. Her time felt unbelievably limited and it was beginning to scare her.

Just as she was about to set the phone down and work up what she would say to Beck, it began to buzz. Her heart stuttered when she thought it might be him calling her. But instead, it was Tara's number flashing across the screen. Millie debated for a moment before accepting the call and pressing it to her ear.

"Bitch," Tara greeted fondly. "Where have you been?"

"At home?" Millie answered, messing with a loose thread on her sweater.

"We had plans last night," Tara laughed.

"Oh shit," Millie laughed, pressing her palm to her forehead as she proceeded to lie. "I fell asleep on the couch and pretty much slept through the night. I was exhausted. I'm sorry."

"No problem, I just wanted to call you and see if you were going to make it up to me tonight instead. Mitch and I were going to watch a movie and make cookies."

Millie mulled it over, she supposed she could go over after her date. She didn't want to tell Tara what her plans for tonight were quite yet. But at the same time she wanted to spill all the tea. Tara would make a big deal out of the whole thing, Millie didn't know how to handle that. A boyfriend had never been a thing for Millie.

"Soo... You're coming right?" Tara filled the silence.

"I have a dinner and then I could come over after?"

"That sounds like a great idea. Bring your school stuff, you can just sleepover after. Text me when you're on your way."

Millie smiled a little, she really liked Tara when she was inadvertently a softie. It was rare to see her in that form. "Okay, I will."