"I think you should fetch it."

"I think you should find out if he is a nice guy or a weird guy," she said, then bumped me with her hip and walked away from me. I turned and walked toward Mom's ball lying right beside Tyler's foot.

"Hi," he said nervously.

"I am looking for Mom's golf ball. She seems to have hit it out of bounds." I directed my words to the ground looking painfully at the ball.

"Ummm," Tyler fumbled, but before he could say anything more, the girl was in my face.

"Hi ya! I am Sue Ellen. Nice to meet you." she said with a huge wad of gum in her mouth.

"Hi." Bending toward Tyler's shoe, I yelped, "Here it is." I grabbed the ball and hobbled away as fast as I could with a boot on my foot.

I grabbed Mom's arm, "I have got to pee, and you are coming with me. We walked to the bathroom with our golf clubs under our arms.

"What do I do? What do I say? I feel so embarrassed!"

"Why are you embarrassed?" Mom asked. "You aren't the one here with someone else. And this definitely puts him in the 'weird guy' category."

"Umm, Hello, Mother. Did I not just talk to Shep? Tyler probably saw that."

"He is the one on a date, Honey. You are with your mother, and a boy said 'hello' to you."

"How do you know he's on a date?"

"Boys and girls do not play putt-putt golf together as friends."

"Can we please leave?"

"No. This is a good time for you to face your fear. "

"No, Mom, I don't want a pep talk about fears and facing them again. I am not going to do it. Can we please just leave and let this one go? Please."

"Honey, I think it would be good for you to stay."

We stayed. But I did convince her that we were done playing putt-putt. I just could not walk the course and bump into him over and over and watch him with her. I went to our car and pulled the emergency pillows and blankets out of the trunk. We also keep jugs of water and all the supplies needed to survive in a major snowstorm, including a sign that says 'Stranded' on one side and 'Need Help' on the other. The likelihood that it would snow that hard in Texas and we would be stuck in our car is highly unlikely...but Mom says, "Always be prepared."

The drive-in wasn't an emergency, but hiding in the car sure was lot more comfortable with some cushioning. The movie started and I snuggled into my seat with my pillow.

At intermission, Mom asked me to get some popcorn. I begged her to go and get it herself, but she would not concede. So, with more than enough money in my pocket, I went to buy popcorn and a drink.

I was standing in line when Shep came up to me and asked if I could come to the pit for a minute to meet some friends. "The line will actually be shorter when you get back." Shep pleaded for me to go.

I followed him to the pit hoping that I would not see Tyler again, but kind of hoping that he would see me. I could not decide which would be better. I decided not seeing him would be worse when I felt a tug at my arm. I turned around to see Sue Ellen.

"Hi ya, again. Are you enjoying the movie?"

I just blinked.

"I was way more into it the first time I saw it with Tyler, but not as much this time."

The first time. My mind tuned out the rest of her talking. I looked over her shoulder for him. He was not in sight. Shep introduced himself to Sue Ellen and we all walked over to the pit. I tried to think quickly, but could not. I just wanted to leave or to disappear.

"Caw, Caw! Caw, Caw!" rose above the noise and chatter of the pit. It is a sound Mom and I make when we lose each other in the mall or other crowed places so we can find each other.

Mortified, I tried not to look in her direction. I didn't think I could be anymore humiliated in one outing until I heard Shep say, "Isn't that your mom over there calling like a goose?"

"Oh yeah. That is our secret code that the bathroom is open. I better go while the lines are down." I excused myself and walked straight to Mom.

Tyler crossed in front of me. "Hi, Gorgeous."

Pause, Breathe, "Umm, Hi."

"Hey, I wanted to let you know that this is not . . ."

I was dying to know what he was going to say, but my mouth was already talking, "What? Don't worry. You don't have to explain. I was just leaving with Mom. She has a headache and we have to go. I'll see you around."

I turned and walked away before I even knew I was doing it. What am I doing? Why am I walking away?

I hobbled up to Mom and said, "You have a migraine, and we need to leave right now." She did not argue, which was surprising. We drove home in complete silence.