Can't Walk, Can't Run

Start from the beginning

I pointed to the table by the front door, and he went to get the paper. I was trying to think of how I was going to tell Jimmy Sue that Tyler was in my house, sitting right beside me, and that he cared about how I felt.

It was getting dark and the fireworks would start soon. "Tyler. I have another idea."

"What's that?"

"I was wondering if you want to go and watch the fireworks down by the lake. I know a great view."

"That sounds cool, but do you really feel like it?"

I started to get up and was reaching for my crutches. "I've had a pain pill. It's going to hurt the same regardless."

Tyler chuckled, "Well then, let's go! Let me help you. Where are we going?"

"If you head back down toward my grandparents house, there is small road that goes to the top of Granite Mountain. We will be able to see the fireworks across the lake from there."

"Sounds great!"

When we got to the porch, he took my crutches and put them in the back of his blue Ford truck, scooped me up, carried me to the truck, and set me down in the front seat.

My mind was racing as he closed the truck door. Was I really sitting in his truck? Would my mom be mad? Did I really care? It was Tyler Bowan!

He got in the truck and started it up. Before he started to back up, he reached across me to hand me my seatbelt. "I should have buckled you in."

"I can buckle myself in. I didn't break my arm." He put his hand on top of mine.

"Are you always going to be this difficult to help?"

My mind couldn't stop asking, Was this for real? Is this Tyler? Is he really talking to me, or is he using me in another game like after the bomb scare at school. Was he making fun of me? Maybe none of it was real. Maybe it was the pain medication.

Snapping back in the moment. I commented, "Nice truck."

"Thanks. It was my uncle's. He died last year and I got his truck."

"Um...turn right there." When we arrived, he helped me over to the two white chairs under the only tree on top of Granite Mountain. "This is my second favorite place," I said with a sigh.

"I can see why." He scooted his chair closer to mine. "Nice location, Ma. Do you think the kids are all asleep?" I blushed a little and giggled. I decided to play along.

"No, Pa. They are all down there swimming in the lake. I'll go get them and put them to bed soon."

"And then we can go to bed too, Ma?" I really blushed then and was searching for the right words.

"Um..."

BOOM! Fireworks saved me. Blue sparks shot across the sky and exploded into layers of silver, sparkling dust that fell softly toward the water.

"Look at that one," I said, pointing down the lake to new ones shooting off.

"Nice. Look at those two green ones."

We sat and watched in silence for a long time, and then he reached over and took my hand. I did not know what else to do but keep perfectly still. His thumb rubbed the outside of my hand, and I settled into the sweetness of the moment. The little explosions became intermittent and distant and I knew our family fireworks were all gone. I sat back a little in my chair and winced from the pain shooting up my leg.

Tyler jumped. "You're hurting. I think I should take you back."

"Not yet. I want to see if there are any more."

"No Ma'am. I am taking you back home. You have seen enough, and your Mom is going to kill me." He helped me up and we made our way back to his truck. I placed my head on his shoulder and breathed in his scent for the first time. I tried to commit his scent and touch to memory.

When we pulled up to the little red house, there were more lights on than when we left. I took a deep breath. As soon as his truck was in park, I saw the screen porch door open. Mom was in the doorway with the door leaning against her back, arms crossed.

"I was wondering where you were. I came up to check on you. I did not realize that your friend had stayed so long. I was worried that you tried to walk down to the lake."

"Sorry, Mom. We just went up on top of Granite Mountain to watch the fireworks."

Tyler helped me into the house. "Sorry Ma'am. I did not mean to worry you."

"Well, thank you for keeping her company. She really needs to go to sleep now, and you need to be going." My face turned red from embarrassment.

"Yes, Ma'am." Tyler helped me to the sofa and then sat my crutches aside. He backed away slowly and waved goodbye. "See you later."

"Bye," I said so quietly I was not even sure I spoke. The door closed behind him, and I picked up my crutches and tried to head to my room. After a few minutes, Mom came in and helped me change into pajamas.

"Did he kiss you?"

"No," I barked. "We just watched the fireworks."

"Well, you are a little young to be out so late."

"Mom, it was not a date. We just went up to Granite Mountain right by Nana and Pa's house. I mean gosh. He probably has a girlfriend." After I got into bed, she propped up my foot, flipped on the switch for the ceiling fan and then clicked the light off.

"Good night."

I turned on my side and pulled the chain on the lamp beside me. Then I opened the bottom drawer of the nightstand and pulled out my journal hidden under my socks. I wanted to write down every detail. I did not want to ever forget that night. I still could not believe that Tyler Bowan had come to my house, picked me up, and held my hand. I guess breaking my ankle was a good thing after all.