I felt their stares as I walked in. I could almost hear their silent screams. I swear the music stopped and a spot light was turned on me. I panicked and ran out of the gym into the closest bathroom.

Having had experience with this type of moment, I recreated my perfect outfit. I immediately ripped the top. One sleeve: check.

Next, I rolled my socks down, but since they were knee-highs, I then had two giant rolls of red and white socks around my ankles.

I pulled at my hair and messed up my ribbons. Punky hair: double check.

I trashed the wooden trees. I stepped out of the bathroom stall and looked in the mirror to see what my chances were of making a second entrance. I had all the elements of the other girls, but I looked like a Christmas elf who lost a fight. Disappointed, I quickly left to find sanctuary in my car.

Arriving at Jimmie Sue's, I looked down at my light purple shorts and plaid shirt and thought, "If this outfit isn't right, I should be shot and put out of my fashion misery!"        

Before I could honk my horn, Jimmy Sue came running out. "What took you so long?" she called looking at her watch.

I groaned as I reached across to unlock her door, "I had to find my suit and then go home to put on my makeup."

"I would have let you use mine. I don't understand your mom. She is so weird."

"I know. Hey, so someone called my house,"

"Who someone?" she giggled.

"Don't know, didn't leave a name, but Nana said it was a boy. Who do you think it was?" I asked, hoping she would say his name.

"I am sure it was Shep. He is so sweet on you."

"Oh really, him?" I began loosing interest in the mysterious caller.

"I know you want it to be Tyler," she sang with an annoying tone.

"You don't have to say it like that," I said with a nudge.

"What? Tyler," she sang again.

"I don't know who called. It could be anyone," I tried to get her off the topic of Tyler.

"Yes it could. What suit are you wearing tonight?"

"My green one."

"Ugh, the one with the black and white stripes on the side." She rolled her eyes.

"Yes. It's my favorite."

"It is a one piece."

"I know. I happen to like it."

"No one wears them any more. At least no one under the age of sixty."

"I do," I said firmly. I was not interested in wearing a two-piece swimsuit. Ever. Especially in front of people I knew.

"They are so old fashioned. And that one is so..."

I interrupted her, "Don't knock it. My dad gave it to me. Well, he really gave it to my mother, and I happen to like it." Dad had brought it back from Italy, for my mother. She never liked it, but it fit me great when I grew up. I liked to imagine that he was had given the swimsuit to me. It had the cutest wrap that I tied at my waist to create a slit that showed off my long legs.

We arrived at the swimming pool, and I checked out the line to go inside. I looked down at my outfit again, "I'm okay."

I took a deep breath and walked into the Dip N' Dance with Jimmy Sue, wondering what the night would be like. My swimsuit and wrap were rolled up in the bag on my shoulder. All the girls were barefoot in bikinis with mini skirts.