Background info

Prologue

Prologue

14 August 1947, when Pakistan finally gained independence from Britain after 300 long years and became a country. Mustafa Ali Hamdani had the honour of announcing Pakistan's independence from the British Raj on 13 August 1947 at 11:59 pm on Pakistan Broadcasting Service. Six years before this event took place, on 26 October 1941, Muhammad Ali Jinnah had found Dawn, a newspaper. This newspaper became the voice of the Muslim league. The newspaper now has offices in most of the major cities of Pakistan, Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad.

"The Dawn will mirror faithfully the views of Hindustan's Muslims and the All Hindustan Muslim League in all its activities: economic, educational and social and more particularly political, throughout the country fearlessly and independently and while its policy will be, no doubt, mainly to advocate and champion the cause of the Muslims and the policy and programme of the All Hindustan Muslim League, it will not neglect the cause and welfare of the peoples of this sub-continent generally"(Muhammad Ali Jinnah).

After Pakistan became independent the newspaper moved to Karachi, under the orders of Jinnah.  Eight years after Pakistan gained independence, in 1955, Dawn became one of the country's two largest English-language dailies newspapers in Pakistan, employing hundreds of people. Zayan was a senior journalist at Dawn and had been working there for three years.

While Zoya had recently joined as a photographer. To complete her late dad's assignment, after this she would go away forever with her mom. At least that's what she had promised herself.