22 | Cold Shoulder

Começar do início

It still hurt.

"When'd you even come from work last night?" was her next question, and I glanced at her, noticing her narrowed eyes.

Oh god. How the hell did she keep reading me like that? Why would she ask that in the first place?

"What does that have to do with anything?" I spoke up.

"I don't know" she shrugged "Tell me"

A sigh escaped my lips, as I replied "Late"

"How late?"

"Camille" my voice was stern, as I glanced at her again.

She blinked, crossing her arms "You're being suspicious"

"There's nothing suspicious going on" I replied quickly "Stop looking into it. I just woke up grumpy. I'm tired"

Well it wasn't a complete lie- I was tired. Again, I didn't get not one wink of sleep.

"I guess that makes sense" she sighted "You work so much"

My face softened at her claim, and I looked back at her "I do nothing. At least I'm not pregnant. That's real work"

"What are you trying to say?" she gave me a suspicious stare, making me laugh.

Finally, we reached the airport, and I felt even more nervous , as I got out of the car.

Gema was coming around the airport later, since she had a job interview early morning nearby and ubered there, so we counted on her to drive the car home.

Everything had been thought of, planned, organized in some way.

All except last night.

We struggled to pick up our luggage, so it took a few minutes for us to even walk around, as we to do the check in, going through security, and finally, finding our gate.

Either way, once we were there, we met up with the rest of the group. Saying our good morning's as we waited. It wasn't going to be more than thirty minutes, I didn't think, which was good.

Thankfully, Ross wasn't there yet- a good amount of people weren't. We'd been a bit early.

I relaxed into the conversation for a bit, as we talked about work, kids- with the co-workers that had them, and mainly academic talk- with the co-workers that were younger. All casual chatter.

As long as he wasn't here, I could pretend that last night was a dream.

That was until, he eventually ... showed up.

And, to my surprise he was actually speaking to the head of the marketing team as they walked to the group. I was certain it was a business related conversation, but seeing him talking while walking with someone was still a little odd. I was so used to seeing him alone.

And of course, he looked as pretty as ever. I mean, who the hell dresses up for the airport? I was certain this guy did not own one pair of sweatpants.

Either way, I had bigger fish to fry here. With each step - my heart jumped at my throat. All I could do was stare.

"Good morning boss" a few of our employees greeted him the second he joined the group, while I took a step back, almost hiding behind Camille.