Chapter 8

When I woke up, it was dark outside and quiet. The fire had died down to a dim glow of red coals and the blanket than had been draped over me had fallen off onto the floor. 

The new stitches burned and moving didn't feel so good, but I sat up anyway. My head spun from the pain, but waiting for me on the chair Sam had been sitting at was a glass of water and some pain medication. 

Downing two tablets and drinking the water, my eyes adjusted to the dark. My stomach grumbled, and I looked a the fridge.

If Sam was sleeping I didn't want to disrupt her, but I also didn't want to raid her fridge like an animal. 

Slowly standing up and wincing at the tug it made to the stitches, I walked over to the fire and added another piece of wood to keep the place warm, then I hobbled over towards the kitchen.

I slowly opened the fridge trying not to make a noise, and squinting into the bright interior when the light inside illuminated the kitchen and ruined my night vision.

There was fruits, vegetables, cheeses, assorted snacks, sauces, eggs and raw meat. I felt bad, but I had to replenish the calories lost from the previous night fast, and that meant going on the usual post event meal plan. I grabbed a package of the meat and put it on the counter, quietly closing the fridge and then listening into the dark for movement.

Of Pebbles and Pine TreesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara