Chapter 3

Blinking away the fog I realized I was curled up against someone's chest, being gently carried. My vision was still blurry, and it took a few more seconds to focus on the person carrying me.

They were focused on the path but hesitantly glanced down at me. Their lips moved but I was taking in their silver eyes and didn't hear their question.

"Can you walk?" they asked again in a melodic voice.

I move to stand, and they put me down gently onto my feet, hands still hovering in case I stumble.

Trying to take a step I fell forward, the dizziness and pain making me groan, the grey dog was at the stranger's side and growled, baring their teeth from their black gums as I tipped towards them slightly.

"Scurvy, stop." The stranger snapped, taking my arm and looping it over their shoulder and taking the weight as I leaned against them.

"We need to get you to a hospital" the stranger said, walking as though they knew the path through the woods well.

"No." I croaked through gritted teeth "Please, no hospitals."

The stranger stopped, "Why were you in the woods."

"Got drunk at a party, stumbled my way into the woods" I lied.

The stranger let out a sigh and kept walking.

"Where are you taking me?" I wheezed out as the stranger let go slightly and helped me over a log.

The stranger didn't answer. I gripped their arm; they looked down at me. "Please, you can't take me to a hospital."

Their gaze softened slightly, and they spoke calmly "It's alright, I'm going to take you home."