A Voice in her Head

Comincia dall'inizio

'Hit the chin, rattle the brain...'

Valkyrie felt the tears welling in her eyes, and it distracted her for a moment. Asaria struggled out of her grip, and jumped to the side. Valkyrie turned as she ran smack bang into her, sending them both tumbling to the ground. They both rolled, and came up hitting each other. By now, the other sorcerers were cheering. To Valkyrie's surprise, Skulduggery was cheering for her.

China was standing with her arms crossed, a snarl stretched across her face. Valkyrie rolled her eyes just as Asaria sent a punch into her chin. Valkyrie kicked her legs out from under her, and Asaria went down.

"Okay!" Asaria panted, holding her hand up in surrender. "Enough."

Valkyrie obediently backed off. Everyone cheered. Dexter looked surprised. Valkyrie wiped her eyes, smudging away all the tears that were threatening to spill over. She saw Skulduggery looking at her intently, and she smiled. Mr Finlay clapped.

"Well done Miss Cain! No one has ever beaten Miss Wreck that quickly. You have real potential."

"Well, I did have a good mentor," Valkyrie answered.

"And who would that be?" Mr Finlay asked. Valkyrie panicked.

"Um.... Detective Inspector Me," she answered. She almost laughed at the memory. Mr Finlay looked at her blankly.

"I don't believe I've heard of him."

"He likes to keep to himself," she lied. Mr Finlay looked satisfied.

"Very well then. You have shown me great talent Miss Cain, and I expect you to go up against some of the men next lesson."

Valkyrie nodded, eager to fight one of the Dead Men. Mr Finlay then turned to China and Ambry.

"Your turn girls."

Valkyrie went to stand next to Skulduggery and he congratulated her.

"Thanks," she replied, smiling. Those emerald eyes made her own brown ones well with tears, but she fought them back. She tried to watch China and Ambry fight, but her mind kept slipping back to the 21st Century.

Were her friends missing her? Would Skulduggery be searching for her? What about Tanith? Would she be worried? All this swam in Valkyrie's mind as China dumped Ambry to the ground. She looked up and realised the shadow in the corner of the room. Her heart skipped a beat. Even though she couldn't see clearly, she knew exactly who it was, and that he was watching her...

***

After the lesson, Skulduggery took Valkyrie to the other side of the school. Girls continued to stare.

"What is it with all these girls?" Valkyrie asked, annoyed.

"They basically worship the ground I walk on," Skulduggery answered. She stared in bewilderment.

"Really?"

"You'll soon see."

They continued walking until they came to a large room, where a group of girls were huddled in the corner, and other students were walking through.

"Tanith," Skulduggery said, and a pretty girl with blonde hair looked up in their direction.
When she saw Skulduggery, she smiled.

"Tanith is the Head Girl," Skulduggery explained. Tanith left her group and strode over to them.

"Hey," she greeted. "I didn't think you were coming over to this side today."

"Change of plans," he explained. Then he turned to Valkyrie. "Valkyrie Cain, this is Tanith Low, Tanith, this is Valkyrie."