"We thought it's Daniel." Ian exhaled frantically and brushed his forehead with the back of his hand, "Damn, girl. I thought I'll have a heart attack!"

"I'm fine..." I whimpered softly and looked up at both men, "It was just a dream."

Dorian sat next to me, leaving a few inch gap between us. He respected my privacy and comfort zone to some extent. "Do you need anything? Water, juice, something to eat?"

"Water." I nodded, panting heavily.

Dorian threw a short glance up at Ian and remained seated on the bed next to me. Ian jolted out the door, murmuring something under his breath.

"So, I made some calls." Dorian spoke quietly and ran his hand through his hair. "I had a NYPD detective Phelps run some checks on Daniel Cain and as a matter of fact, his sentence has been suspended due to a good behaviour. As much as it doesn't surprise me, Daniel's father is Phelps' boss and I'm confident to say he's been released way before his rightful time for the gross sexual imposition. As a lawyer, a fourth degree felony lands you at least five years in jail. Daniel has been released too soon."

Dorian's words shot in and out from one ear to the other. I didn't want to hear a single reason or a word containing anything about Daniel and although I knew it's necessary to know the facts so we can end it all, my mind couldn't fully process and digest the information Dorian shared, especially when some of the jargon was above my knowledge and understanding.

"His current residence is East Brooklyn so he hasn't registered himself here in Compton." Dorian spoke again. "My guess would be he's staying low-key in a local hotel. I'll have my cousin Jack to run some errands tonight and install few security cameras around the house. He agreed to come over and babysit when I need to go to LA tomorrow for a client's court hearing."

I sank lower in the mattress and covered my face in my hands. "I don't need another babysitter."

"Don't argue with me, Samantha. Please, let us help you put that man back in jail where he belongs. Jack is a criminal defence lawyer - best in the States. And trust me, one more move by Daniel and he's back behind the bars. For life this time."

"Why are you helping me?" I finally found the courage to ask the question that's been bugging me ever since Dorian stepped up for me in Carlos this morning.

"Because I know what it's like when no one's there for you when you need help the most." He said and looked at me with his beautiful blue eyes full of tears, "I know the feeling of loneliness and weakness when it feels like the entire world is suddenly against you. You feel worthless, a tiny ant on the ground, being stomped with no escape."

I was unable to look away from his gaze. The depth of his despair was real. Two broken souls brought by predetermined fate.

"And I know, beneath that layer of absolute devastation, lives a girl who has big dreams and a heart of gold."

A single tear rolled down his scruffy cheek followed by another. He blinked twice before slowly cupping my face into his hands and bringing me closer. "If I can mend your fears and make you happy, let me." Dorian then drew me in for a kiss, ever so gently. I quaked under his touch as his velvety lips brushed against mine. My body shook unwillingly and I couldn't push him away. I answered his tenderness by stealing his mouth in order to forget the world around me.

"Um... Anyone's thirsty?" Ian cleared his throat, distracting the intensity of the moment.

***

"And you agreed to kiss him?" Ian scowled at me, dragging me into his room and locking the doors behind us.