xxvvviv. died in your arms

"oh i, i just died in your arms tonight

"oh i, i just died in your arms tonight..."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

COLBY TIED HIS tie around his neck, the way his dad had taught him to all those years ago. It wasn't perfect; it'd been a while, but he was grateful for the fact that he knew how to do it at all.

There was a small knock at the door, and Cassie peered in through the crack in the door. "You ready to go?"

She, too, was going to the funeral. Jayson had decided not to— he was far too hungover to utter a single correct word. Him being at the funeral would have been a dangerous choice.

Nonetheless, Colby shuddered at the thought of Will's funeral. He still couldn't wholeheartedly prove that the girl, or any of the boys, had been telling the truth. Maybe he'd dreamed it all.

But as Colby stood up, he knew he hadn't been dreaming it all. That girl had busted the light, and she'd been able to communicate with Will. Eleven. Eleven had done all that stuff.

Colby picked up the small box he'd kept in his room for the past few days. Inside was a camera. One to replace Jonathan's— the one he'd broken. He felt terrible about it. It took up most of his money, but he'd gone down to the store and purchased one.

Cassie and Colby got into the car and drove down to the cemetery. The entire way down, Cassie was mumbling about how terrible she felt for the entire Byers family. Colby swallowed thickly.

They arrived at the cemetery and Colby immediately walked over to Jonathan and Mrs. Byers. There was also a man there, and Colby assumed it was Jonathan's dad.

Jonathan looked surprised, and almost aggravated, when he saw Colby approaching, but his eyes lingered curiously on the box in Colby's hands. Mrs. Byers looked warily between the two boys, and Colby offered her a kind smile.

"I'm really sorry for your loss, Miss Byers." Colby clenched his jaw worriedly. "Will was a really nice boy."

"Oh, thank you..." she tilted her head at him.

"Colby Martin." he finished for her. "Colby Martin, I-"

"He goes to school with me." added Jonathan quickly, clearing his throat and shoving his hands into his pockets. He wasn't wearing a tie. Colby wondered why. "Hello, Colby."

"Uh, hi." Colby swallowed thickly again, his heart pounding. "Before the service starts, could I... could I talk to you?"

Jonathan glanced over at his mom, who nodded slightly. The two boys wandered a little ways away from the group, and Jonathan immediately wheeled around on Colby. Colby took an instinctive step back, still holding the box out in front of himself: