xxvii. master of puppets

"i'm your source of self-destruction

"i'm your source of self-destruction."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

AFTER DROPPING THE KIDS OFF AT THE CREEL HOUSE, THE REST OF THE GROUP PARKED IN A FOREST NOT FAR FROM EDDIE'S TRAILER. Colby had been somewhat worried. His consequences for meddling in these kinds of things would eventually catch up to him, although he hoped that evening wouldn't be the time. Vecna had tried to get him once— what if he tried again? And what if he was successful that time? What if Colby was too vulnerable?

"Okay, I wanna run through it one more time." Nancy said. She had been looking out the front windshield before turning around to face everyone that was staring at her. "Phase one."

"We meet Erica and Lucas at the playground." said Robin, repeating the plan that they'd carefully crafted as soon as they'd gotten to the secluded field. "They'll signal Max and Josh when we're ready."

"Phase two." sighed Nancy, giving Robin a small smile.

"Max baits Vecna." Steve had closed his eyes, and Colby couldn't tell if it was out of pure terror or not. He wouldn't blame him if it was. "He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Me, Jayson, and Eddie draw the bats away." said Dustin bravely from the back of the RV, holding onto the staff that his friends had made for him.

"Four."

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair." nodded Colby slowly, thinking back. "And-"

"And flambé." Robin and Cassie finished in unison, Robin shaking her bottle of gasoline in her hand.

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied." Nancy told them sternly, her eyes landing on each member of the group. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it." everyone else echoed before they headed out towards the woods, jogging out and to the trailer park. It was well past dark; they'd decided to wait to make sure that absolutely no one would be out and about, spotting the teens. If they got too curious, they might've found themselves in the Upside Down.

They crept into Eddie's trailer, gazing at the makeshift rope before Steve grabbed onto it, lifting himself up. In the process, he shrugged his bag off his shoulders.

"Careful, buddy." said Dustin, holding his arms out in case Steve fell.

"Here goes nothing." breathed out Steve. "Colby, you follow right after me." Colby nodded at him, and watched as Steve flipped onto his feet.