Mr Samuel, on the other hand, chuckled. "Do you think I owe you an explanation?" The only good thing about how he spoke was that he wasn't yelling anymore. He spoke steadily and calmly this time, with a flash of venom in his dark brown eyes.

It caught me off guard when he grabbed my arm and dragged me closer. The alcohol in his breath made my eyes burn even more. "I owe you nothing." He spat through gritted teeth before letting me go with a bit more force that had me staggering on my heels.

I caught myself before my knees could give out.

"In fact, the amount of business I've lost because of your pretentious attitude it's you who owe me," he snorted. "But I'm going to let it slide by letting you go. Maisie!"

"Yes, boss?"

"Clear Ms Fisher's account immediately and make sure when I return from lunch with my associates, she is gone out of my face and this place for good."

With those words, he stormed out of the kitchen's flip-flap door, leaving me alone and thoroughly humiliated in front of the dozens of staff members.

Heat rushed to my face as the realization of what had just happened washed over me. The room had gotten awfully quiet. All eyes fixed on me.

I barely held back a whimper, clutching the hem of my blazer in a death grip. Knuckles turning pale.

"What got into him so early in the morning?" One of the junior chefs muttered to someone behind my back.

"Jerk!" someone else added.

"Asshole!"

"Are you OK, Zara?" A hand on my shoulder reminded me that this was all real. That it wasn't even ten o'clock in the morning and I'd already lost my job. This has to be the worst day of my life!

Releasing a hefty breath, I sank into a chair next to the kitchen counter and rubbed my temples. The pain had grown ten times worse. I felt like my head was close to exploding.

"Zara!" said the same anxious voice. I glanced up to see Oliver, the senior chef and a good friend, crouched on his haunches and peering up at me with a pained expression. "Please tell me you're alright."

"I'm alright."

He shook his head. "You're not. How could you be? You just lost the job you loved so much."

"I didn't love the job." I tried to smile through the hopelessness spreading inside me, but I wasn't doing a wonderful job. "It's the pay that I'm going to miss."

It wasn't entirely a lie. But I loved my job, too. There were so many memories connected to this place.

My first paycheck.

The first restaurant I brought my mom to for a nice dinner. I still remember the joy on her face. Despite her reservations, she was thrilled to dine in such a posh setting. Not to mention all the promotions I received till they determined I was qualified to be the manager. I worked really hard for all those upgrades. How would I break this news to mom? She wouldn't make a big fuss, I knew, but she would worry about the next month's rent for sure.

Mom didn't want to live in the same house after we lost it to that jerk Maddox Richmond. She said that the house had lost its charm. But I knew the truth. She was simply too afraid to be seen there and be mistaken for trying to cause trouble and put me in any kind of danger. Those men had been rounding our property like hawks.

Oliver sighed, took my hands in his, and softly squeezed them. "Come on, let's get out of here. Anywhere. Just...not here."

"I still need to clear my account."

"Don't worry about that. Maisie will take care of it."

As if waiting on cue, Maisie walked up to us, her heels clicking against the smooth tiles. "Oliver is right. You should go. I'll take care of everything. And if you are required, I will just text you. Don't worry, Zara. Everything will be OK."

As I mentioned, I made many wonderful memories in this place. I also made some incredible friends. They had all been really kind to me since the beginning. One of the reasons I never blew up in here. They all helped me calm down before things got out of hand. And now that I'd been fired, I didn't know what to do with myself.

One thing was certain, though.

Nicholas Samuel proved himself to be just another filthy rich jerk I had come across in my life. And only God knew how many jerks I could stand before going insane.

Although nothing could compare to my hatred for Maddox Richmond.

By taking away my job, Nicholas Samuel only took away my source of livelihood. I could still see my friends and other staff whenever I pleased. I could find another job.

Maddox Richmond stole someone too precious to my heart.

My home.

My memories.

My life.

After my deceitful father, he was the man I despised the most.

No miracles in this world could change that.