Chapter 19; Careless Whispers of a Good Friend

~Carmen's P.O.V~

When I woke up Monday morning, I had no idea what to expect. I had no clue how to act around Matt, and no idea what was going to happen with Austin.

I allowed myself a minute of grim satisfaction; I had never had a guy fawn all over me before, and as if the Universe wanted to make up for it they gave me two guys at the same time.

When Lily, Monika and I left the theater they wanted all the dirty details. So I told them the truth; halfway through the movie Matt held my hand and that was it.

Okay, technically it wasn’t the truth. And that wasn’t even close to a dirty detail. I had plenty of dirty details about Austin though, and the bathroom incident, but I decided to keep everything that Austin and I did together a secret.

I didn’t even tell them that I left not long after Matt…ahem…made a move….and went to the bathroom because I chickened out.

They both squealed in union, making me cringe and cover my ears against the high pitched sound. But they seemed incredibly happy for me, but for some reason I couldn’t quite work up the energy to get excited about having Matt like me.

After the little incident with Austin in the bathroom, I had the most inexplicable sense of guilt and grief, and I couldn’t seem to shake it. Even Lily noticed, but she didn’t question it.

My glum mood was still there on Monday, and I dressed accordingly; black jeans, black long sleeved hoodie, and dark circles under my eyes from the lack of sleep for the past week. I left my hair down so I could at least hide behind it when Matt and Austin were around.

So as I got off the school bus at school, I took a deep breath and prayed that everything would turn out okay.

But we all know that God enjoys making my life difficult. {Sorry if this goes in any effect toward your own religion...}

**************

I had successfully managed to avoid Austin Matt and the rest of my pack until lunch. So when the bell rang to signal lunch time, I felt dread setting in.

I dragged my feet to my locker, opened it, grabbed my lunch and made my way sluggishly towards the cafeteria.

I saw that my pack was already sitting at the table, and I felt my heart skip a beat when I noticed Matt look up at me. He smiled and I looked down at my feet as I walked, until I reached the table and sat down at my usual place.

“Holy cows, Carmen, are you okay?” Kayla  asked, concern clear in her voice.

“Yeah, Carmen, you look like crap,” Lena added.

I didn’t look up at either of them; I simply grunted and folded my arms on the table before burying my face in my arms.

“Carmen, what’s wrong?” Matt asked, I felt his hand stroking my hair. I stiffened; that was so unlike Matt. And then my tired brain remembered last night’s ‘date’ and I relaxed again, realizing that that was probably how Matt was going to continue acting.

“Nuding,” I said, my voice was muffled.

“What?” I heard Liam ask in confusion.

I lifted my head; stared straight into Liam’s blue eyes with my half closed one’s and said “Nothing,” very slowly so he could understand before dropping my head back on to my arms.

I felt a comforting hand pat my back; Kayla, “Let’s just leave her be guys.”

Thank you, Kayla! I thought gratefully, but I was too tired to form the words.