1 | Squirmy

"Who do you think you are?" Flynn says, whacking the back of her best friends head with her peer-review papers as she rounds the table he's sitting at. Jamie leans back from the desk, "Shouldn't you be thanking me?"

Flynn scoffs, "Giving me 5 out of 5's on everything doesn't look believable," She pulls out the chair in front of her and plops her and her backpack down, "The prof's not going to take your opinion seriously now."

Jamie rolls his eyes, "So you wanted me to give you lower marks so in the end she'll give you a higher mark?" his lab partner nods, "You overthink too much."

"Better than not thinking enough," Flynn counters, pulling out her laptop and textbook, "Have you started the cold case yet?"

"Like I'm gonna open a box of skeletal remains in a public library."

It's nothing new for Flynn, to be spending her Friday night's holed up at Science Po's library instead of going out. Neither of them even go to the school, they're just allured by the air-conditioned facility that Université PSL lacks in the September weather. She knows that Jamie, her dark-eyed and black-haired second half who she met in her first year anthropology class, slightly resents her for her social hibernation.

Speaking of, "Do you have any plans Sunday night?"

Flynn looks up from her laptop, green-eyes fierce for the disruption, "Most likely studyi-"

"-besides studying"

Her eyes continue to burn flames into Jamie's, "Then no, I do not."

Jamie grins, "Great!" He pulls out his phone, "You know my high-school friend that I hangout with once every blue moon?"

"The footballer?"

"Presko, yeah," He glides his phone across the wooden table, "It's his birthday on Sunday and he's invited me to his party but I don't wanna be standing awkwardly in the corner all night by myself."

Flynn leans forward and looks at the text conversation between Jamie and 'Presko' saying he's allowed to bring a friend.

"Look, he's already fine with you coming,"

Flynn looks back up and crosses her arms, "So it'll be us and a bunch of footballers?"

Jamie huff's, "If anything it's the best social event you could get. They probably won't even pay attention to us, and we can eat all the cake since they have to stay fit." 

Flynn pushes the phone back across the table, "Okay, I'll go."

"Really?!"

"Yeah it's no problem," She shrugs, "Cake right?"

Jamie grins, "Yes! You don't even have to dress that fancy, it's casual event."

"Oh god I didn't even think about that. Whatever, that's a Sunday morning issue. What did you get for question B on the age identification assignment?"

The weekend passes by quickly and soon enough, Flynn staring herself down in the mirror for what feels like the third hour of the day so far.

"Are you sure it's a casual event?"

She's tried on every outfit that she owns, but nothing screams 'rich-football-star-birthday-party' quite right.

"Yeah, that's what he said." Comes from the 5'8 boy in a white dress shirt and black dress pants lying on her bed, flipping through her childhood scrapbooks, "How come your hair hasn't darkened a single bit? Isn't that a thing hair does?"

Flynn rolls her eyes in the mirror. If she is going to be compared to Draco Malfoy one more time in her life for how blonde her hair is, that will be her last straw instead of school. "It's a genetics thing, both sides of my family are blondes."