【Thirty-Five】

Start from the beginning

   She sighed and shook her head. Cupping his face with a hand her eyes narrowed into a glare, a frown decorating her face. In response his eyes crinkled and he leaned into her palm, "I love you."

   Her glare faltered and her own lips twitched. Taking both of her hands into his he spoke, "I'll change my name and we'll move somewhere quiet—anywhere you want. We'll build your garden and I'll be able to protect you. We can get a dog, cat, anything you want. I want to live my life with you Ruth."

   Her lips parted in surprise. Warmth rushed to her face even if it didn't show. A small laugh left her and she shook her head before squeezing his hands.

   "How about you tell me all this when you aren't covered in your own blood?"

   His face flushed and he glanced down at himself.

   "Ah." His eyes closed, "Fair enough."

   With a small smile she pat his hand once again.

   "But I promise I'll think about it."

   Again a dorky smile broke out against his face.

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

Sitting on the couch you nervously picked at your nails. Luca had taken Smile and gone to his room. Most likely to take a nap, you wouldn't be surprised with how exhausted he looked. You were thankful for his leave, you didn't want to talk about this in front of him.

Lizzie was stood to face the two of you. Her stance was tense and her arms were crossed, however she was a patient woman. She would wait for you to speak when you were comfortable. It was hard to think of where to start. It was even more difficult to collect your thoughts with two people staring at you.

Toby sat on the loveseat rather than the couch; he didn't want to make you uncomfortable. Along with the fact that Lizzie didn't like him being too close. Which was fair, seeing as the last time she saw him he was out for blood.

You took a breath, "What do you wanna know?"

Shifting her weight onto her other foot, Lizzie rolled her shoulders back, "How do you know him besides the..." Lizzie looked uncomfortable, "besides from the incident? Why—Why do you trust him?"

You glanced at Toby. His hazel eyes peered back at you from behind the orange tinted goggles. Grinding your teeth together you looked away. You didn't know how you could explain. Especially if you weren't supposed to know who he really was.

Biting your lip you decided to say 'fuck it', you were going to confront him about it anyway. You've already made a million bad decisions, what's a few more?

"He's a friend of mine."

Glancing back up at Lizzie you took a breath.

"I knew him before we were attacked."

Both of them winced at the blunt statement. Though from the corner of your eye you watched Toby carefully. His face looked a little scrunched up in confusion.