"This is the ring my father proposed to my mum with. When you told me she was engaged with Paul, I asked if I could have it. It wasn't a pretty discussion, but she knew I'd eventually ask you, so she didn't object."

He takes the ring carefully out of the box, the squared sapphire sparkling in the soft light in the room, night already fallen. I lay my left hand flat in front of him, shaking more than usual, and look at him slide it onto my finger.

"I asked your father for your hand when I went to Manchester to pack up your things."

"You really planned it all."

"I did."

"Why didn't you tell me so when you asked? I thought you did it out of desperation."

"I'm always going to be desperate when it comes to you, Grace. For the first time in my life, I care most about you than I do about myself. You'll always come first."

"Ask me again."

"Grace Hemingway, love of my life. Will you make me the happiest man by becoming my wife?"

"Yes. Of course, yes!"

I rush my lips to his, but ultimately part to look at the ring more closely. The multiple diamonds sparkle next to the big squared sapphire in the middle. It's heavier than expected. My heart floats in my chest. I don't mind how tight the ring feels against my finger. Edith does have thinner fingers than me. But that tight grip will always be a reminder of how Marcel will always hang on to me.

"It's gorgeous!"

"I know it's probably a sapphire, but if you want to call it blue diamond and make it your Coeur de la mer, I won't tell a soul."

"Look at you with your Titanic reference. I love it, Mace. I would have loved any ring. But this... This is the most wonderful engagement ring I could have ever asked for. I don't think I could ever stop looking at it."

"I surely hope you will, because I fully intend on making love to my fiancée."

"Fiancée..." I drag the word and savour every syllable of it. "I could get used to this."

"Soon enough, I'll make you my wife."

"How soon?"

"As soon as you allow me."

"Let's take this one day at a time. We'll decide what we want once this retreat is over. I can't wait to start my life with you and live with you in London."

"Let's not forget that we have been invited to Emma's spa resort after this."

"That will be nice. It'll be like a pre-wedding honeymoon."

"What would be your perfect honeymoon?"

"Anything where you and I are alone in bed."

"I've created a monster."

"You've unleashed me. The nuance is important."

"But for real. If I could fly us anywhere in the world, where would it be?"

"If you are flying, I'd stay in the EU. I think I'd like to go to Italy with you. You could show me where your Nonna comes from. We could indulge in delicious food, beautiful art, and delightful sex."

"I'd like that."

"Tell me about what you wish for in the future."

"What do you mean?"

"We never really talked about what you would want our life together to be like."

"With everything that happened to us and around us, I'm just lucky we are together to face it all."