Part I : Chapter I

Start from the beginning

Thor and Loki took the opportunity and ran into the room towards their father. Odin stared forward, ignoring the boys, as he was deep in thought. Laufey came for a reason. He wouldn't take the tremendous risk of sneaking into Asgard, not without the reason being important. There was no doubt he had come for what once belonged to him, the casket, but Odin knew that Laufey was prepared to fight for it, but Laufey did no such thing. There must've been something, a flaw in the casket or a fail in Laufey's plan for him not to have gone through with it. But what could it be? Odin wondered, glancing back at the casket.

 He shook his head, snapping out of his thoughts. He had other things to think about. For instance, his missing little girl should be his main priority. He worried over her, all of them did. Was she alright? Was she alive?

Stay here, boys. I have something to discuss with Heimdall. He proceeded to leave the two boys, who curiously stared after their father. They both exchanged confused glances, but shrugged it off and headed off to their mother's room.

It didn't take long for Odin to arrive at the rainbow bridge. Heimdall curtly nodded at his king, acknowledging him as he watched over the realms. I've found her," he spoke, answering Odin's unspoken question. Odin's heart skipped a beat in glee, and a smile began to form on his face but it was interrupted by Heimdall before it could complete itself on Odin's face.

"But I am afraid that I have bad news that follows her appearance."

 Odin's half smile fell, replaced by a frown. "Please, explain yourself."

"I've caught a sight of her in a Midgardian hospital. She was hurt, but is now healing and treated well by the Midgardians. The bad news is that I can't bring her back under any circumstances."

"Why not?" Odin demanded.

"I uphold my oath to protect this realm as its gatekeeper. If anyone's return threatens the safety of Asgard, my gate will remain shut for them."

"I don't understand," Odin said, furrowing his eyebrows. How could his little girl, Astryd, be a threat to the safety of Asgard? She's just a little girl, who is no doubt lost and vulnerable. He needs her back home.

"There is something in her, that wasn't there before. I believe it is magic, and not just any magic, but powerful dark magic. And as long as it is within her, I can't bring her back. I am sorry, my King."

"Has she asked for me?"

"Yes. She cries out for you, and suffers because she is alone."

Odin sighed. His heart was shattered in jagged pieces. There was no possible safe way to return Astryd to Asgard, but he'll find a way. For now, he needs her to remain where she is, but he can't let her suffer like that. "Can you do me one favor, then? I want you to find a way to make her forget, to block her from her memories here and to let her fall into the hands of a caring Midgardian." Odin decided, tears threatening to spill.

"As you wish my king." Heimdall obeyed.

**

 "She seems to have gone into a cardiogenic shock due to loss of blood and the hard impact she seemed to have experienced, that's why she hasn't woken up. She's been in a coma for a week, but I expect her to wake up soon...I just don't understand. This is a little girl, who is probably no older than ten, we are talking about. She...she should be dead. The bruises and cuts on her body are too deep for an impact this massive for a normal human being to survive."

"What are you implying?" A new voice, a second one, demanded.

 "That she-"

"Shh, her eyes just moved." The second voice hushed. It was silent the whole time as I struggled to open my eyes and I soon found myself staring up at a white wall illuminated by a light that was too bright for my sensitive eyes. As I let my eyes wander, moving my head this time, I found myself lying on a small bed near a machine that gave out loud beeping sounds.