"How could you say that, Lily? Have you gone mad? Don't you even think of me?" Daniel tried to sound offended as he tugged her into his arms. "What would I be without you? You don't care about me at all anymore, do you?"

Lily wept louder against his chest.

"There. Tell me what's wrong. Hey, Lily. You know, you can talk to me. Tell me all that's troubling you."

Lily balled up in her seat, pressed her face to her knees, and cried until her lungs seemed to give up. When she slowly quietened after a long time of crying her gut out, Daniel got her talking.

"What's wrong, Lily?"

She initially just chewed on her finger nails, hiccuped as she swallowed and shook her head. Time and again, tears would pool over in her eyes and she would dash them off quickly, leaving her nose with a tinge of red.

"Is Darcha Miriam not treating you well?" he asked tactfully in a lowered tone and Lily's face crumpled over as she hid it away and a stream of tears gushed from her eyes. It served as a sure sign that she was no longer happy in her uncle's house. Yet she shook her head.

"My final exam is approaching and I just can't study. Nothing gets into my head. I'm not even going to get my degree," she said tearfully.

"Come on. You're underestimating yourself. There's no way you're not getting your degree. I could help you too. I can teach you things you don't know. You have nothing to worry about, Lily."

"I've missed classes for nearly a month and nothing gets into my head anymore. That's the thing." Lily sniffled.

"That's natural. You're having a very tough time. You don't even have to expect to learn things as fast as you did before. We'll learn slowly. I'll help you. You take it slow. You just have to focus on learning what you can. Don't push yourself too hard."

"You don't understand. My brain has gone defunct!"

Daniel took her hand and gave it a light squeeze, hoping to encourage her. "Okay. If you don't trust yourself that bad, you can at least trust me, right? I've got degrees after degrees in your subject. And I bet fifty thousand if you say you won't get your degree with my help."

Lily wanted to snort on his face and a teary laugh escaped her. Daniel smiled and pulled her into his cuddle. For a long time, they stayed in the car, talking. Lily nearly breaking into tears time and again, Daniel encouraging and consoling her...

Finally, just before they drove back home, Lily confessed the trouble in her heart.

"I might be homeless soon."

Daniel frowned at her, confused. "What do you mean?"

"It seems in our tradition, girls can't inherit their father's house. Darcha Miriam keeps saying Geoffrey is the rightful heir to our house. I might never be home again." And just like that, another flood of tears gushed through.

Daniel felt muted for a while. He stared at Lily and licked his lips.

"How could that be? Your father always said our house would be yours."

"He did but Darcha keeps talking about it to everyone who visits us. No one said she was wrong."

"What about your Pamo? Did he say that too?"

"No. Pamo never did. He did once hear Darcha Miriam say it and he scolded her. He doesn't think like that but Darcha wants the house... She doesn't want me staying with them any longer either."

"How?"

"I am a burden to her. I haven't earned a nickel to put food on the table and I'm unable to do many chores either. I am a freeloader."

"You are not a freeloader." Daniel sighed, scratching the back of his head. This was something he had worried about for a while, being aware of Miriam's hostile nature.

"Don't listen to her," he said. "We've bought all your meds and necessities. Even food. I bring it over every time I'm here... We know how she is. Let her say whatever she wants. You're not going to be with them for too long."

"But I can't just ignore her. Every time anyone comes over, she keeps complaining that she's exhausted looking after us. She keeps saying to me she doesn't have a penny to buy food and I've given her all I have so far. It's like they're spending all they have on me. I can't bear to listen to her any longer. It's embarrassing."

Daniel reached out and put an arm around her shoulder, "It's only for a while, Lily."

"I don't wanna live with them anymore," she said, wiping her eyes off of her tears.

"Don't feel too disheartened. It's only natural coming from Darcha Miriam. But you know Pamo loves you very much. Let her say whatever she wants for now. You're not going to be with them always."

"You would take me with you once I'm better, right?"

"Of course. Once you're better I promise," he returned with a kiss on her head.

Daniel drove her back to her uncle's house, had dinner with them at the family's insistence. And when he had to leave, he opened his wallet and gave a thousand to Lily's little cousin Rachel. When he turned to Lily, she told him she had enough with her.

"Papa's office friend Uncle Manoranjan visited me a few days ago to talk to me about papa's pension. He gave me money too," she told him.

"That's from him. Here's something from me as well," he said, thrusting a few notes into her hand. "Keep it. Let me know if you need more."

She nodded and watched him walk down the steps in the dark, wishing he didn't have to go. Lily scurried after him and grabbed at his arm. "It's too late today. Why don't you stay over? Tomorrow is Sunday. You could go back after lunch. Stay. Please," she pleaded.

Daniel watched her tender eyes and took a moment before he decided, "I'll stay over at home. I'll see you in the morning."

Lily's face lit up to give him her first full smile of the day and she threw her arms around him. Daniel took the keys from Uncle Morong and went home alone to stay over for the night. He met Lily and her family again in the morning at Church, after which Daniel took all of them out for lunch. Aunt Miriam seemed to be the one who enjoyed the free lunch the most. On the way back home, even Lily appeared immensely relieved and at peace now that Darcha Miriam seemed satisfied and pleased.

☢☢☢

Here's a New Year's gift!
How is everyone? Hope you're all enjoying your holiday. I think I had one of the most memorable Christmas. Looking forward to a good New Year. Wish you all the same.

Love, Hermyne ❤️