IX. Training Time

Start from the beginning

However, Melinda was calm and she wasn't even struggling or trying to break free. He moved his head more to the side to catch a glimpse of her face when he felt her move. He didn't have time to react as she took her chance.

One moment, his hand was around her neck and the next he felt himself being kicked on his front feet before he was flipped above her frame and slammed with his back on the floor.

The crowd cheered and he took a moment to blink a few times and let his brain process what had taken place. Melinda stood victorious above him and she offered her hand for him to take.

He did but not for what she had planned. When she tried to lift him, he used his gosh hand and grabbed her leg before pulling, forcing her to fall on her side.

She groaned but rolled and lifted herself quickly just as he did the same. He decided to charge at her again while he had the chance and went for a punch.

However, just as she has taught Hank, she blocked and dodged it and then the next one and the next and the next. Before she found her opening and delivered a strong attack on his inner arm, making him feel numb for a moment.

She then hit him on the side of his neck and grabbed him, before pulling him forward while immobilising his other arm. With a swift kick, she had sent him falling face-first on the floor.

"Not bad" she replied and panted faintly as she took a few steps back and let him get up on his own, not wanting him to repeat the dirty trick he did before.

Erik stood up and locked his gaze on her, only to see her charging. He was ready for her low attacks but what she did next, caught him by surprise.

She rushed and jumped into the air, wrapping her hands around his head and neck before using the momentum of her fall to bring both of them down. He tried to save it but he couldn't and he lay on his back, with her legs squeezing his windpipe.

The crowd cheered as it was clear, who had won. Melinda smirked and released him, allowing him to take his time and regulate his breathing.

She looked at Hank, who was watching with his mouth open. She smiled and offered her hand to Erik, who this time took it without any sneaky plans in mind.

"You were saying?" She asked him, with a smirk.

Whatever had happened back there, she enjoyed it. She could see the adrenaline in her flushed face, the vein popping by her neck from her fast-beating heart and her eyes had that glow within them. She loved the thrill and the combat. She had lived it before, he was certain of it.

Her moves alone proved she had spent her time wisely training, although her techniques were unique. It was self-defence but it felt there was more behind it. The way she moved and thought, the places she attacked...it was more professional, more....military.

What skeletons did she hide in her closet? Now he was more eager to know than ever before. Yet, he said nothing more other than just leave the room to go wash. He needed time to think, for this woman was among his head go crazy sometimes.

---------------------------------

The very same night, while most had gone to rest after a hard way of exhausting training; only two could be found awake...well three.

Charles and Erik had been too engrossed in a game of chess to realise the passage of time until the telepath drew victory. Once they noticed how late it has been, a few hours since dinner was served, they decided to part ways.