Chapter 13 - Trial

On April 15th,
Charlie Thomas was arrested and put for trial.

I had moved back into my old house, living with my mom and Leah. Family members came to visit to meet Leah and to check on me. I knew most were judging me, but I didn't care.

Finally, the day of the trial came. My mother, father, step-mom, step-brothers, and Leah were all present. Charlie was present, and his family had bought him a fancy lawyer. I would have thought they disowned him. Bethany was also here, she'd been sentenced for being an accessory in the crime, so had Charlie's friend Elijah. Bethany was in cuffs near an security, she had requested to watch this trial. Veronica, her new husband, and her two year old child that was Charlie's, were here too. The trial went on for about three hours. Charlie had a saddening face the whole time looking toward a paper on the table. "Charlie Thomas, you do understand, that you are wanted for kidnapping, rape, sexual assault, verbal abuse, psychical abuse, and assault." said someone in the court room. (I was never really into politics, growing up.) To which Charlie's lawyer responded, "Charlie is fully aware of this. He is sickened by what he has done. Infact, he is mentally unstable. That's why I believe he should be sent to a mental hospital instead of prison." The judge said it was my lawyer's turn to speak, "Your honor, I'd like to bring up another subject of matter, you see Ms. Annette is currently 20, and her daughter Leah, is currently 3 years old. This means that Annette was 17 when she gave birth to Leah and at this time Charlie would have been 18 or 19, meaning that it was technically illegal. Annette's mother has even stated that she knew her daughter was sexually active, however, she was unaware that it was without protection. Making it technically not be approved by Annette's guardians at the time."

Eventually, I was given permission to speak, this was near the end of the trial, soon the jury would make their decision. "I- um. I have a poem I'd like to read... Though it's true I loved you once, I do not love you now, though I admit I still care for you, I sorta hope you go to hell, though some people say God forgives all sins, it's the sinner who must ask for forgiveness, in order for amends, I may not forgive you now, but one day I will, cause I can't let you hold any power over me like you have for the past 3 years, that power came from fear, and only fear alone, it's hard to believe that for you, my heart once had a home, you have made a chain around my neck, that I'll wear till the day it becomes just another battle scar, I've received along the way, hopefully all your children live up to a great legacy, that is nothing like yours, but surpasses greatly, you will be a battle scar on all of us, all through out the rest of your life, will you hear our great war, you have won countless battles, but we have won the war, now no matter where you go we'll haunt you till your grave, but you've haunted us long before this trial, I guess I believe in both karma and revenge, but I also believe in hope and kindness, however you don't deserve my kindness or hope, I've given it to you too many times before, I know you'll say your sorry, but actions speak louder than words, if you accept your fate, than I can forgive, if that happens one-day this chain is simply a battle scar, Charlie, look me in the eye and see my bravery, hurt, and hope." I said my voice incredibly shakey in the beginning, but bold in the end. I looked directly at Charlie. I had tears rolling down my cheeks, but I wasn't whimpering, Charlie was sobbing, he couldn't contain his tears. He looked up at me, and looked me directly in n the eyes. He stood up and we walked towards each other, immediately cause security to run towards us, but I stopped them. The circled us, then to everyone's shock, we hugged each other. I started to sobb. Then, we let go and let out deep sighs, we walked back to our chairs & the jury's decision was announced; "The jury has decided that Charlie Thomas is... guilty, of these crimes and will be sentences to 90 years to life." I hugged my family and lawyer had was over joyed I'd received justice. Charlie hugged his family and a smile could be found on his face, not a smirk, but a genuine smile. When we had locked eyes, he surrendered himself to me, he accepted his fate. You see, Charlie would either be not guilty, guilty and sentenced to prison, or guilty and sentenced to death. But when we locked eyes he accepted whatever was given to him, he accepted the fact he'd have to pay, no matter the cost.

Charlie smiled at me as he left the court room.
This was finally the end.
I was finally free.