006 THE LEGEND OF ALICE MAY

Lydia yawned, slamming her locker shut as she got ready for a whole day of skipping class. Luckily, this time she'd be skipping with school permission, they were helping set up decorations and other things for the prom, along with most of the theater club. "Gee, look at that... I guess the prom is coming up!" She heard Daphne speak, turning to see her and Fred walking down the hall together. She rolled her shoulders before walking to join them, "Any plans?" Daphne asked Fred, only glancing over at Lydia briefly to give any indication she knew someone had joined them.

    "I'll probably do the same thing I do every year- monitor my police scanner and patrol the sewers." Fred smiled, "You gonna go?" He asked, Daphne giving an innocent smile, "I don't know... I guess if someone asks me..." She trailed off, making him nod. "Gotcha, well, good luck with that!" And he left.

    Daphne pouted, shoulders dropping as Lydia sighed, "If he doesn't ask you, we could always go together. I'm going anyway because I volunteered to help with music stuff." She didn't realize when she volunteered that the prom would fall on the same day as the start of the Van Ghoulathon, four hundred and five Vincent Van Ghoul movies played back to back. The most she could do is hope the movies she misses won't be her favorites, The Opaque Man, The Bee, and The Hole and the Metronome, to list a few.

    The redhead sighed and nodded, "Maybe..." She mumbled, clearly disappointed, "I've just always imagined doing a slow dance with Fred... The lights shining down on us... Him not distracted by nets or traps... Is it too much to ask?" She asked, frowning while Lydia placed a hand on her shoulder, "Oh, not that you wouldn't be a lovely date!" Daphne straightened up, sending her friend an apologetic smile before she shrugged. "No, I get it. Everyone has hopes and dreams, don't sweat it, Daph."

    Both of their heads snapped over to Fred at his locker when a new voice spoke, cursing about her locker not opening. "Lemme try! These are series s geyser tumblers." Fred turned his attention to the girl, turning the pad of the locker, "Sometimes they stick." And he got the locker open, giving a smile to the new girl, who tossed her hair over her shoulder. "Wow! That's amazing, thank you so much!" She smiled, Daphne quickly moving to stand beside Fred.

    "My names Alice, Alice May. I'm new." Alice had bright, light blonde hair, lighter than Fred's, almost the same as Lydia's natural hair color. "Fred Jones! And this is, uh-" "New, huh? Well, good luck. Come on, Fred, let's go." Daphne motioned for Fred to leave with her, turning and taking a few steps before Fred spoke again, "You know, this school can be like a maze. I've actually made several models of it in my spare time to chart my class route." Fred handed her a model he pulled from his locker, making the new girl gasp.

    "Oh, how sweet! Thanks, Fred." She smiled, and Lydia shoved a hand in her sweater pocket, "Freddie, buddy." She spoke up, staring directly at the dumb blonde. "I think I'm gonna like it here..." Alice May trailed off, smiling at Fred the same way Daphne usually did, making Lydia groan a bit. The only difference was Fred was smiling back, causing both Lydia and Daphne to gasp.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓ ❔ ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━

    Everyone was gathered in the auditorium for some pre-prom announcements. Lydia sat in the front row, between Scooby and Shaggy, while Velma was on the other side of Shaggy, and Daphne on the other side of her. Lydia was scrunched up in her seat, legs up on it as she held Shaggy's right hand, painting that hand's nails with a blue color. She only zoned back into the conversations being held around her when Shaggy mumbled a 'help', making her look up at him confused.

    "Where's Fred? He said he would be here." Daphne frowned, sitting up a bit more to look around. "He does like his mandatory school assemblies." Lydia mumbled, eyebrows furrowed as she focused back on her task at hand, painting nails. "Oh, no, he didn't." Daphne grumbled, clearly annoyed.