// part eighteen: human //

Everything had grown silent. Even with the island shaking, it felt as if the world itself stopped moving. Deimos stared down at the sight of the girl, almost regretful of his actions. But what's done was done. He would not regret taking Y/n's life, if in the end it was for the betterment of his plans.

"You... You killed her." Sonic stuttered, staring at Y/n's lifeless body. Just moments ago, she had engulfed him in a warm hug, full of love, full of life. She comforted him, told him everything would be okay. And now, she was gone.

"You bastard." Shadow grit his teeth, unable to look at the sight of the girl he was beginning to consider his friend. Shadow had grown to care for Y/n, she was brave and full of love for everything. He wanted to protect her, but now it was too late.

Metal sat on his knees, staring at the girl who he tried to stop. He could've prevented it. She would still be here if he held tighter, if he were firmer in saying no. Something inside him snapped as he sat, unable to move.

Sonic and Shadow rushed past Metal, towards Deimos as they burst into a golden light, the Master Emerald glowing as they sucked every bit of power it would give. Sonic let out a pained and angered yell as his eyes watered, he and Shadow attacking head on.

The three battled it out, but Deimos held them back with little struggle. He had gotten a taste of the Super form, and now he knew exactly how to fend them off. It was barely a competition now.

Metal couldn't join the fight though. The shock was overwhelming. Humans were so fragile, even more so than mobians. They were so easy to break, so easy to kill. Even so, Deimos had hit her with everything. The pain she must've felt in her very last seconds, her very last breath, was unimaginable.

Y/n was so brave. From the very first time they had met, Y/n wasn't afraid. She wasn't afraid to befriend Metal, to take him in and help him. She wasn't afraid when she had to fight him. Y/n was the bravest person Metal had ever met. And he'd never get to see that bravery, the need she felt to protect people again. He'd never see her smile, or the way her eyes would light up when looking at him. She was just a memory now, one that was so easy to steal from Metal.

"Metal, what are you doing!? You have to fight!" A voice called from behind. Looking back, Metal spotted Tails, along with everybody else. "Sonic and Shadow can't do this alone, you have to help!"

Metal wanted to look away. He wanted to leave, to shut down and never see the light of day again. His light was gone anyway. If Metal had the capacity to cry, he'd let out all of his feelings to the world. He wished he wasn't forced to contain them. He wished he could cry for Y/n.

"Metal, you have to fight." Another voice said. Clenching his fist in anger and looking back, his eyes went wide to see the familiar h/c haired girl, giving him a small, warm smile. Metal squeezed his eyes shut, wondering if his vision was acting up. And much to his detriment, it was. She was gone.

But that was all he needed. That was the push he needed to fight. Standing up, Metal clenched his fists, summoning a power within him he saved just for this moment. The moment he'd kill Deimos.

Deimos felt a sudden spike in energy, blowing Sonic and Shadow back as his eyes moved down to Metal. Deimos growled in annoyance, getting sick of everyone fighting back. However, before he could act, a bright flash of light stopped him in his tracks.

Deimos let out a growl of frustration, his eyes burning. Just as they had begun to adjust, he received a harsh punch in the gut, causing him to double over as he grabbed the arm. Gasping, he looked up to see his attacker, only to see an unfamiliar robot.

"Wh-Who the hell are you?" Deimos rasped, trying to regain his breath. The robot shoved Deimos back, sending him flying backwards.

"I am the one who will avenge Y/n and finally put an end to your nonsense. I am Neo Metal Sonic." Metal spoke with a smirk. "However, I am not at my fullest power. I will show you just how outclassed you are."