// part one: birthday girl //

"Happy birthday, dear!" A plate with a pretty pink slice of cake was set down before the h/c girl. Looking from the cake up to her mother, Y/n L/n grinned widely.

"Thanks, mom." Y/n looked down at it, the small flame whipping around in the air as it sat atop the cake.

Sucking in a breath to make her wish, Y/n grit her teeth and growled as familiar slim, metal fingers pinched the fire without worry, extinguishing it.

"It was a danger to you. Please be more careful." Metal Sonic, her robotic friend spoke. Y/n huffed, crossing her arms.

"I was trying to make my wish! Now I can't." She pouted, her lower lip sticking out slightly.

"Wishes are not real, so there was no point." Metal shrugged. Y/n sighed, turning away from the robot.

"Don't be such a Debby Downer, it's just for fun." She crossed her arms, huffing in disappointment.

"It's okay, Y/n. Just eat your cake." Her mother ruffled her hair, moving to sit down next to her. Y/n smiled, looking down at the cake as she quickly began to dig in.

Metal stuck his metallic blue tongue out in disgust as he watched the girl messily eat her cake, crumbs falling everywhere.

"Please stop eating like an animal, it's disgusting..." He said, avoiding eye contact as he handed her a napkin. Y/n glared at him as she snatched it away.

Wiping her mouth clean, she muttered a small "thank you". Stretching out, she smiled as she stood up.

Taking her plate into the kitchen, she began washing her plate. As she scrubbed it, humming to herself, she suddenly heard a soft feminine voice.

"Y/n..." They called out. Y/n whipped her head around, searching for the source. There was nobody around, both Metal and her mother were sitting at the table.

Squinting her eyes for a moment, she sighed, shrugging and turning back to her plate. "Must've been my imagination." She muttered, looking into her reflection on the plate.

Y/n almost looked completely normal, thanks to her friend Tails, a kitsune from another world. After the events taken place a couple years ago, Tails had helped her to appear more human again, covering up her robotic parts.

There were still a few out of place things, such as her heterochromatic eyes, one e/c and one a glowing green. Whenever she'd train with Metal, hoping to have a better hold on her power, her whole body would emit a green aura. She still wasn't entirely human, she never would be again.

Y/n had realized some time ago that she would never be like anyone else. She wasn't like Metal, but she wasn't like her mother, or like Tails and his friends. She was all alone in this. There was no human cyborg out there like her.

It made her sad to know nobody would relate to or understand her, but that was just the way things were. She would just have to suck it up and accept it.

Smiling down at her reflection, Y/n silently chuckled. She was surprised she could even return to her normal life after everything. For a while, she couldn't go to school, she had to take a break and homeschool. Her mother was struggling to even accept that she wasn't dreaming. Y/n could understand that though. This did seem like a dream.

Her mother, M/n, did accept that Y/n was no longer fully human after some time though, and she got used to seeing Metal Sonic around. It took quite a bit of helping her accept it though.

And as for Y/n and Metal Sonic's current relationship, they were somewhat in between a couple and friends. Metal was completely new to the idea of romance, it would of course take him time to adapt. It was still taking him time to adjust to living normally and in a new world.