[12]

A burning blush formed throughout Hiroki's cheeks, extending toward his ears, he covered them with his calloused and scarred hands. He stepped back from Nowaki. His jaw gaped open due to the shock. Nowaki's declaration flustered him, caused his heart to beat faster. Turning away, he heard Nowaki say his name. Repeating it again to snap him out of his thoughts. From his peripheral, Nowaki's hand extended toward him but stopped himself before touching him.

Hoping his ears heard wrong, he replayed the words inside of his mind. Over and over. Nowaki spoke those words to him. The damning redness spread toward his ears. Betraying his attempts at hiding his emotions.

They were engaged. A simple misunderstanding in Nowaki's part. He accepted Nowaki's lack of interest where the act of kissing remained in the back burner. A non important aspect to their relationship. He assumed Nowaki desired no contact from him. Nowaki believed their so-called living arrangement as a neutral sharing of his home.

Nowaki's cough brought his attention back onto him. "Hiroki-san?" He placed his awkward hands to his sides. He tried backtracking away from his original question into another topic. The awkwardness choked him. "Forget I said anything. I'm sorry."

"No. You didn't offend me at all. Stop apologizing. I'll tell you when you've said anything bad to me. So far, you haven't done anything too horrible." Hiroki covered his mouth, muffling his words. "You surprised me."

Nowaki worried his lower lip. "Oh—"

"Yes."

"So...may I?"

Hiroki's face went even darker red, he snapped at him to hide his embarrassment. "Y—You don't need to ask your intended for a kiss. That's just unnecessary!"

"It doesn't hurt to ask." Nowaki informed him. "I don't want to impose anything on you. We were placed into this situation due to my carelessness, not that I mind. I enjoy your company." He cupped Hiroki's cheek and leaned down. "May I?"

"S—Sure. Go right ahead." Hiroki closed his eyes, he stiffened but made no indication of moving away.

Nowaki brushed their lips together for a brief moment. He stared down at Hiroki's face, brushing aside Hiroki's bangs. Despite his closed eyes, Hiroki showed immense impatience through his arched brow and pursed lips. He gulped before kissing Hiroki again. Finding Hiroki's body relaxing against him, he placed his hands on the middle of his back. Testing out some shy kisses, he deepened their contact when Hiroki's lips parted. A shiver went through both their spines.

Hiroki broke their kiss, he tried regaining breath into his lungs. Opening his eyes, he saw Nowaki's chest heaving. He gripped onto Nowaki's clothes, trying to keep himself from buckling. Nowaki's arms tightened around him, keeping him on his feet.

"W—Was it good?"

Hiroki touched his lips with the tips of his fingers. "Not bad."

Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Days following their first kiss, Nowaki found he enjoyed surprising Hiroki with a kiss. A tender kiss on his wrist and knuckles. Simple touches where Hiroki's face went red and he sputtered words in his native tongue. Nowaki guessed their meaning from the embarrassed expression on his face. They entered into a routine where they shared kisses in the morning and before they slept in their bed. Each time, he kept his hands in respectable places.

Hiroki passed his initial reactions of a bright red face and sputtering words. He caught him off guard in retaliation. Nowaki figured out that Hiroki had no such restrictions in using his hands. He kneaded parts of his body, leaving him tingling to the touch. There were times where he grabbed onto Hiroki's wrists but it enticed him even more.