SINCERELY, ANONYMOUS

Hi Daniella,

I have to admit I still feel guilty about reading your letter. I'm the kind of person who holds onto everything. After every conversation I walk away from, there's usually very little I feel good about saying. I wear regret like too many layers of clothes in the summer sweating out every dumb thing I've said. I don't think I ever sound cool or smart. Just someone desperate to get a word in. Hoping I seem impressive. Interesting. Worth remembering... but I think I skew closer to cringey than likable. It's amazing I even have friends.

How does anyone put up with me?

Must be my ability to open any twist cap and eat all the things you might think are gross. Hate raisins in your trail mix? No problem. I'll eat them. Don't feel like eating the little surprise mushrooms on your plate? Cool. The little trees are mine now. Someone gave you the wrong flavor? Don't care which. I'll ingest it easier than a garbage disposal.

Anyways, you should talk to Loman if you're into making friends right now. Literally just ask him to do anything and he'll do it. Loman gives me baby duck vibes and if I tell him to follow me, he just would. He goes with the flow better than most rivers. Trust me! All you have to do is walk up to him, tell him you want to hang out, be clear where you want to go, and make sure you ask for his phone number. Then, he's your friend.

That's it.

I promise!

If I'm wrong, I will eat my shoe. If I'm wrong about this, you will discover who I am from hearing rumors about some weirdo eating their shoe during lunch. You've already made friend with Mona, right? You've done it once so I know you can do it again.

And don't be embarrassed! I think it's really sweet you and your mom get along so well. Since you admitted so much to me... I guess, I can tell you I'm kind of afraid of my mom sometimes. If I can't guess how she's going to react, I just assume she's not going to be happy with me. Neither of my parents have been super happy with me in a while.

Writing this is kind of making me realize that if I needed someone to help me, I'd probably reach out to one of my friends first before my mom. It's just none of my problems are ever as big as her needs. There's not enough room in the conversation for both me and her.

I understand the feeling of wanting to leave this town too. I feel like I'm wasting my time because I don't think life really starts until after high school. Everything I do, I need to get permission first. Why am I the one who needs permission to live? Let me go where I want, when I want, if the feeling hits. It's not like I'm shaving cats (sorry Colonel Mustard), tipping cows, or murdering people. All I wanna do is get out of my house and just drive for hours. I swear I'd come back.

I wanna pick a spot on the map knowing full well it's going to take hours to get there and just go anyways. I'm not a spontaneous person, but if I could cheat for a day and pretend to be someone else, I wanna be somebody that stops during a road trip to go see the biggest yarn ball in the US. I wanna stop because someone is selling peaches on the side of the road, and I've never had one outside of a cold grocery store. I want to choose my restaurant based on the sign being awful, on how good or bad the pun is, or how hideous the mascot is. I wanna be free of worrying how the rest of the world is going to react to me.

But this person, who I really am, would be worried about being killed on the side of the road by fake peach farmers. And if I don't look at the menu at a restaurant first and already know what I'm ordering (and my back-ups), then I would rather die.

Sorry. This is dumb and random and too much about me. I think Loman would be happy to be your friend. Everyone would be happy to make a friend. It's so hard, it's so special, and can be so random... So why not plan it? Why not decide to be his friend and make it happen? I hear you're one of the smartest girls in school. You can ace making friends for sure.

Man. My hand cramps writing these. These letters might be novel length if it weren't for my weak hands. There's another clue about me. Find a girl with weak hands and you'll know it's me. Just know that whenever my letters end, there's more I want to say. There are a thousand other things I want to tell you.

Like I slept long enough last night to dream of flying.

Like I walked by that couple you're obsessed with, and they were holding hands.

It actually made me happy.

Like your handwriting feels the same as meeting an old friend.

Like I wanna just tell you all my likes and dislikes as a way so you'll tell me yours: my favorite color is blue. I don't have a favorite food because see above explaining that I'm a garbage disposal and will consume everything in front of me. I listen to movie soundtracks. Sometimes I wish my parents would've let us get a pet. Especially when the house is too empty and quiet.

But I'll end my letter with the answer to your Emma question, I like all the colors and the big cast. It was surprisingly pretty funny. The romance was nice too. Not like incredibly cheesy. It was oddly serious but funny? I wonder if that makes sense.

Sincerely,

Anonymous. 

P

P.S Thank you for the cat doodle. Here is a doodle of the clouds right now. There's also a low chance of rain tomorrow, but if I look at the radar, I wouldn't worry about it.

P.S.S. Really you don't have to reply.