"Lieutenant Riley has filled me in on the information you have shared with him." She nodded, letting him continue. "It has been very helpful."

"Of course." She said.

"I know it must be hard for you, being in limbo like this."

She decided in that moment that she should act as though she knew nothing at all. She didn't, only that Simon believed they were being misled somehow. Maybe she could get to the bottom now, with sympathy, like she had told him the night before.

"Yes." She folded her hands in her lap and looked at them. "It is."

"I know what you went through was terrible, you must know we plan to bring those responsible to justice."

Tears, completely sincere, burned at the back of her throat. There was no justice for what had been done. Only stopping them before it could happen to someone else. "Thank you."

She raised her tear-choked eyes as he spoke again. "Information about your rescue will not be released just yet. Not until we know more."

Cheap, calling it a rescue. It was an accident. "I understand."

"Do you have questions?" He asked.

She hadn't expected him to ask that. She swallowed. "I have experience practicing law, I have governmental clearance. If there's anything I can do to help—"

He held up a hand. "There's no need for that. Just lay low and let us do our jobs."

She looked down at her hands again. "Alright."

"Now. Your father had ties to the cartel, correct?"

She snapped her eyes to him with a frown. "Not ties, no. He was searching for evidence. To convict."

"To convict who, exactly?"

She searched her mind for some reason why he would ask that and came up empty. "I don't know. He died."

The man stared her down. "I see." He stood, walking to the door. She followed him. "If you think of anything else, let me know."

"Of course. Thank you." She dipped her head in respect and spent the rest of the day in her room, wishing she could pick up her phone and call her dad like she had every other time her life fell apart.

She didn't leave again, even though it crossed her mind to wonder if Simon might be sitting in his usual spot. Her heart ached and she didn't have the energy to ask him if he had known that conversation was going to happen.

The next day, she ate breakfast late and sat in her room again. She felt more tired than usual. Her conversation with Price had been confusing, she didn't know why he asked what he did so abruptly after making a point not to let anyone but Simon speak to her previously. By afternoon she got uncomfortable and paced back and forth, waiting for dark so she could go and find the ghost. She needed him to tell her not to worry. That she was safe. That she wasn't a prisoner here.

Darkness fell, she slipped on a jacket and went outside, the path familiar now. The moon was three quarters full, and she could see it setting on the horizon, a deep gold. She stared at it for a moment before turning.

He sat in his usual spot, a lit cigarette in his gloved hand, the mask covering his face. The way it exposed his eyes made her feel exposed in that moment. They were intensely on her. She swallowed and went to sit next to him without a word. He watched her the entire way.

She held out her hand and motioned for him to give her the cigarette. He glanced at it for a second before handing it over. She knew his mouth hadn't touched it as she took a long drag. She hadn't smoked in a very long time and it tasted good in a sickening, painful way. It burned her throat until her voice finally found its way out.