ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ⇻ ɴᴏᴛ ʙʏ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ

TWO YEARS AGO

TWO YEARS AGO...

THE FIFTEEN-YEAR-OLD held up his wooden stick and blocked the attack. He spun around and tried to counter, but his opponent weaved.

He was then hit in the side and kicked to the ground, his weapon also thrown away

He was then hit in the side and kicked to the ground, his weapon also thrown away. Emanu stood above him and raised his wooden stick over his head. He swung down and W'Kanne rolled out of the way.

"You have no weapon. What do you do now?" Emanu exclaimed as he tried to hit him again.

W'Kanne quickly got back to his feet and faced his mentor. He weaved away from the older man's attacks.

"Mind. Reflex." He answered as he ducked under one of his swings. "It's all we have."

The boy dodged another attack and followed with a sweep of Emanu's legs. The man fell onto his back.

W'Kanne leaped onto him and was about to land a faux punch in his face, but Emanu quickly raised his wooden stick to the boy's neck. He stopped before making contact.

"You didn't make sure I was unarmed. Although I was down, the weapon was still in my grasp." He lectured him, tapping the stick on his neck. "And now you're dead."

W'Kanne sighed and got back up, helping Emanu to his feet as well. They brushed themselves off and the man went over to a nearby bench to put the sticks down.

"When are we going to practice with real weapons?" The eager child asked.

Emanu scoffed. "We fast-track to that, you're gonna end training in the infirmary."

"But the Dora start using their spears like...a week into their training."

"The Dora are the most efficient and deadliest group of warriors on the planet. Warriors your mother has been training for years now."

W'Kanne couldn't argue with that. He figured he'd just have to wait until he was ready.

"Right." He replied, then looked at his hands. "When can we start applying my powers to the training?"