Chapter 6: Paint the Town White

Start from the beginning

Camila looked up. "Group projects." She repeated as Normani laughed from across the room. She began to re-explain her struggle to the older girl, resting her chin on her hands as she did so.

"There's this conceited asshole in my group who never ever looks like he gives even the slightest shit about anything. His name's Andrew, or Austin or something and he's a varsity athlete in on a scholarship... basketball I think."

"They're the worst." Ally was nodding. "Realistically when you're in on a scholarship and you're bringing in money for the school your marks aren't really important."

Camila let her forehead hit the surface of the table painfully. "We were supposed to all have our sections of the project done by today so we could meet and write intros and conclusions, but he didn't even show up. I got a text from him that said he got stuck at practice, but his Facebook wall said otherwise so I went to try and find him. He was such a jerk, and now I have to head to the library and stay up all night finishing a whole extra section of the report. It's one mark for all of us, so it's not like I can go and complain about him to a bunch of stupid TA's who don't even care. "

Ally tapped her pen against her cheek in thought. "Is there no one else who's willing to do his section? Maybe you all could split it up... it doesn't seem fair enough for you to be the one to take a whole extra persons workload."

Camila looked up with half lidded eyes. "Everyone else is standing their ground." The air quotes came up. "They refuse to do his work, and even if we hand in a half-ass final product in they're not going to care."

Ally made an "oh" sound. "And I'm guessing you do?"

"Of course she does." Normani said as she chewed. "Hey is this the guy?" She was holding up her phone, and on the screen was a profile picture of the infuriating face that Camila had been dealing with. "He's kind of got a nice smile."

"Yeah that's him." Camila let her head hit the table once more, not before Ally shuffled a stack of papers underneath to soften the blow. "And I'm glad Mani. You won't be listening to me giving a speech at your wedding though." She muttered into the wooden surface. She turned slightly to look at the girl who was now flipping aimlessly through the channels. "Where are Lauren and Dinah?"

"Groceries." Normani mumbled through a mouthful of popcorn. "They have my car, so they better be back soon because I've got to get to work."

Just as Normani finished, the front door swung open and both girls barrelled into the house with their arms full of brown paper bags that were filled to the brim with food. Lauren kicked off her shoes with a grunt, then shuffled into the kitchen with Dinah directly behind her, while Camila jumped to her feet to run and help.

"Should you be lifting all that?" The brunette asked worriedly as Lauren set the bags down on the counter with a thud. She then took a few out of Dinah's arms and placed them down carefully.

"I'm fine." Lauren assured her, pulling her jacket off and tossing it over Camila's. "Things are feeling a lot better today actually, I can take deep breaths in again... it feels great." The girl twisted her torso freely to demonstrate just how much better she felt. Her skin was slowly returning to its natural pale, and although the pain wasn't fully gone, she had been gaining back her mobility well.

"But..." Camila started.

"Don't even try Mila." Dinah waved her hand nonchalantly. "I spent the whole time we were in that store trying to convince her not to carry the basket. It was a losing battle, and she spent a good five minutes pressed up against the dairy case because, and I quote; it felt gooood."

Camila turned and blinked at Lauren.

"DJ, we agreed we weren't going to speak of that." Lauren muttered as she began pulling items out of the bags and organizing them on her shelf. "Ignore her, she's just grumpy because they were all out of the mint Oreos she likes. She had to settle for the chocolate."