"Where were you?!" Race asked as soon as I stepped in the door.

"I was selling papes," I told him.

"Why are you home so late?" He inquired.

"I met up with a friend this morning," I responded.

"Spot?" Race teased.

Race was my absolute BEST friend. He was the only Manhattan Newsie who knew about Spot and I.

"Shut up! Someone's gonna hear you!" I told him.

"Have you told Jack yet?" he asked seriously.

"No," I responded. "But I was actually about to tell him, so... Do you know where he is?"

"Nope," he said. "He hasn't come back yet.

"Hmm, strange," I thought out loud. "Anyway, I'm heading to bed. Good night, Race."

"'Night Lucky," He smiled, pulling me into a hug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I went for a walk to clear my head, and prepare myself to tell Jack about Spot and I.

"Madi!" I heard Jack call.

I turned to face him.

"Hey, Jack," I said. "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course!" He responded. "You're my sister, you can tell me anything."

"Jack, I have a ... a boyfriend," I told him.

"You have a WHAT?!" Jack exploded. "Who?"

I took a deep breath. "Spot."

"Spot? Spot Conlon?" He asked.

"No, the other Spot," I responded sarcastically.

"Not funny, Mads! Why didn't you tell me?" He yelled.

"Because I knew you would react like this!!" I screamed back. "I'm not a child anymore! You don't have to protect me!"

"But I do, Madi! I do need to protect you!" He yelled.

"Why, Jack?! Why?! Is it because I'm younger than you?! I'm not a child!" I screamed, tears forming in my eyes.

"I know you're not a child, Madi! But you're my sister! And- I can't lose you too. It's just us, and I can't - I can't live without you Madi. I need to keep you safe," He said, tears starting to run down his face.

"That's why you act like this? Because you're afraid of losing me?" I asked, starting to cry myself. He nodded sadly and I embraced him into a hug. "Aww, Jackie, you're not going to lose me that easily."

Jack buried his face in the top of my head.

"I love you, Madi," He mumbled.

"I love you too, Jackie," I whispered into his chest.

He pulled away from the hug and told me, "You're always going to be my sister, no matter what. That's never going to change, but I'm going to try to be a little less controlling over you'se."

"Thanks, Jackie," I smiled.

I grabbed his hand and we walked to the circulation gate together.

"Jack! Maddie! Get a load of this!" Crutchie called.

They raised the price of papes?

"Like Pulitzer, don't make enough already!" Romeo added.

"Relax, guys, it's gotta be a gag," Jack told them, letting go of my hand. He walked over to the circulation and placed down 50 cents. "I'll take 100 papes."