~ 8 ~

Mollie was lost in her own thoughts as she led the younger woman deep into the forest, the sound of the river's rushing water growing louder the deeper they went into the underbrush, leaving the ranch far behind

"We are almost there," Mollie broke the silence at last as she came to a jutting rock near the riverbank. "If my research is correct, these markings were made by the natives. Apparently, this river was used as a trade route and the tribes would camp near the river. I can't be sure which tribe made these markings, but there is a Mohawk reservation not far from here."

"Wow," Arlana breathed, reaching out to trail her fingers along with the jagged rock a moment before Mollie grasped her wrist.

"No, you mustn't touch the rock - not just yet."

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking how much my younger sister, Adelaide, would love to see this. She's always been so fascinated with Native Americans."

"Interesting. I'm looking forward to meeting her - hopefully soon. But first, there is something I'd like to do with you today - as part of your training for the position at the club. As you know, DNA plays a large role in what we are searching for, but I believe we can go a step further and possibly use it to change history. I've spoken with James and the others about it - my theory - and they agree there is a possibility it could work. 

After tonight's ceremony, I'm not sure the others would give their approval to what we are about to do, so time really is of the essence." Mollie motioned for Arlana to step closer before holding out the leatherbound book she had tucked under her arm while they were walking. "Look at this. Do you see where it shows four seals?"

Arlana stepped closer, reading the passage in The Book of Names that Mollie held out in front of her.

"That's incredible."

"Yes, it is."

"How does it work? Do you know anyone who has had the four seals?"

"Yes, of course, but they are very rare and most have gone into hiding. You, my dear girl, have great value as you will see after tonight. All will be revealed at the right time, but let me assure you beforehand, that you have my full blessing and support. No matter what happens, you won't be alone."