Chapter Three: It Follows

Start from the beginning

   Fear took the best of him, he nervously checked the first monitor and as soon as he lay his eyes on it, its display went static. Nick's heart leapt, he knew what it might be, and that by the time the display returns that it could be standing there.

   The video returned, he was expecting the worst but instead it showed the parking lot and nothing else, neither a silhouette of the dreaded monster nor even a glimpse of its limb. He pressed a button that switched to another part of the hospital, it displayed the main lobby of the place but there was no sign of it. He checked monitor two: still the same hallway and no signs of Springtrap. Next was camera three: not a trace. His heart pounded as he slowly turned his attention to the last monitor that had the feed of the place just outside the room. To his surprise, the corridor in the video was spotless, it was peaceful, there was no figure standing in the darkness.

   Nick was relieved; he lay back on the chair and took a deep breath. His eyes slowly closed, letting his exhaustion conquer him, never caring when the nurses will notice that he had left his room. But something caught his attention: a small button beside each monitor was glowing. His smile disappeared and the drowsiness was shocked out of him upon noticing the video feed, there was a text on the upper right corner of every screen:

PAUSED

   "No. No." He gasped, reaching out a trembling hand towards the button of the first screen and pressed it. He prepared himself of what ghastly image he might see...

   But lobby was still untouched, not a single furniture out of place, same goes for cameras two and three, it was still peaceful. He turned to the last screen and unpaused it, there was nothing there but darkness as it was pointed to the dark grey door.

   He looked back at the monitors to double check, checking one to four and he smiled while was doing it, nothing odd or scary. He let out a weak chuckle and exhaled.

   Everything was fine.

   It was until a pair of glowing human-like eyes opened in the darkness of the last screen.

   Nick jumped. It was there, just outside the door and staring back at the camera with its frightening glare.

   "Oh God." He dropped on the floor and reached for his crutches the moment the fourth monitor went static again, "No." He pulled himself across the floor.

   Nick looked up the door where there was a small glass window: A deteriorating grinning face of a rabbit was peeking through, it was already there watching his every move.

   He screamed, Springtrap smashed the glass window and reached for the lock. "SHIT!" Nick pulled himself on the floor as the animatronic desperately tried to get him.

   Nick saw a rack beside the door and without any hesitation he reached for it and began shaking it. The monster pounded on the door as it stretched out its arm to claw for him.

   "NO!" Nick shrieked. His efforts to shake the rack was not enough, he resorted to using his feet and began kicking the foot of the shelf. The pain in his broken leg was excruciating, the cast around it cracked open as he kicked the shelf.

   He bit his fist hard to ease the unbearable pain, the plaster had shattered exposing his injured leg, but he kept kicking while Springtrap tried ripping the door open. He pushed himself to kick harder and caused a foot of the shelf to break and fall over, blocking the door.

   It might've bought him some time but it wasn't stopping it from getting him. Nick grabbed one of his crutches and hurriedly rose up, dragging his still broken foot and hopping to another exit. He glanced back, his pursuer was gone, leaving only a large hole in the door.