Chapter Eleven ۞ Reprimanded

Start from the beginning

When everyone had gathered in front of the table and the meal was served, Keelan wolfed down his entire plate like he hadn't eaten properly for a year. The activity resumed in unusual silence.

"Felt like I hadn't done this in a year." Elfre commented, staring at the first, proper breakfast she hadn't gotten for ages.

They were all silent.

A knock disturbed the awkwardness of the atmosphere. Like a grown habit, Valeriana wiped off her mouth and stood to get the door. Her chair scraped against the carpeted floor, the sound muffed by the fabric.

"I'll answer." She told them.

The dining room was not that far from the front door. It only took half a minute to get there. Pulling on the knob to meet their first guest since the last time, the headmaster's unusually austere stature came to greet the current fifth. Behind him was Courtney, who looked somewhat troubled.

"So it is true." He said, the pinkish hue of his eyes was a lot darker than its normal shade. "The Celestial Twelve has returned."

"Headmaster." The girl bowed her head in respect to Kylon and made way for him to enter. "Sorry we arrived so suddenly with no prior notice. It was unexpected . . ."

"So I heard--how you all emerged out of nowhere just before the designated night hours. Pray tell, how is everyone, Valeriana?" He questioned, his tone strict and firm compared to the commonly gentle one he used to speak.

"We're having breakfast right now . . . do you wish to join?"

"No." The albino simply shook his head and gave out a sigh. "I apologize if I came in the wrong time and if it seems abrupt. However, do forgive my rudeness and ask everyone to gather around immediately as important matters are to be discussed."

Valeriana delivered the news to those dining and had them all come out. The entire Twelve took their places in the lounging area, throwing themselves on the sofas and loveseats. Some chose to remain standing and listen in without having to be so close. The girls, however, all chose to sit side by side.

"Now, let me start with this." Headmaster Kylon reclined on his chosen seat and rested his laced fingers atop his crossed legs. "I have only given you permission to seek out the brother of the king and not on other missions."

"Uh-oh." Keelan sounded.

"And in this unapproved assignment," he drammatically paused. "You brought along two, non-ranking students with no license."

Namely Courtney and Zion.

"I chose to come with them." Courtney said.

"Oh, no." Valeriana whispered.

"The highest mission you were allowed to get was a D-class." He added. "But you took one lingering between the A and B."

"It was actually something in between B and C." Charles tried to reason out.

"Even so!" Kylon exclaimed, his voice reaching a higher octave. "It was prospectively either A and B and even if it was B and C, students--not even the Celestial Twelve--are not allowed to take on a mission above D-class unless given special permission by the CDD. That special permission, if you don't already know, requires further examination and a class clearance given only to proper knights and graduates!"

They all were unable to speak up against what they were told. Like rebellious teens caught in the act, they hung their heads and remained quiet from where they were.

"It was my doing." Charles bravely confessed. "I handled the negotiations with Lord Lienhard and accepted on behalf of the entire group."

"It was not only him." Corvan said, stepping forward. "I, myself, was already well-informed of the assignment status but I did nothing to stop it. The others were dragged along and kept in the dark."