The World On Fire

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb, Alvarez. I know you've heard about it too."

Dante hummed and his smile fell. "All I know is that hunters are starting to notice."

"They think it's werewolves," I answered with a frown, referencing my most recent call with Bobby. His network had expanded in his search for Sam, and his attempt to wrangle the rising demonic situation.

"They thought it was werewolves." I stiffened in surprise at that. "You didn't think we'd stay hidden forever, did you? Vampires are on the rise too, you know. Hell, some of my scouts ran into a siren not too long ago. I didn't think they could survive this far North, but clearly, I was wrong."

"Why are they-"

"Why? You know why," he snapped. "I know you've heard about all the demonic omens." I hesitated before nodding my head. "Everyone is gearing up for war."

"The apocalypse?"

"Eventually," he replied. His gaze dropped and his brows furrowed subtly. "What is it?" he asked.

"What?"

"The necklace," he said, pointing. I looked down and found my hand clutching Dean's amulet, not realizing I had grabbed it.

"I don't know. It belonged to someone special," I answered, my breath hitching subtly. His eyes softened as he picked up on the sound.

"I'm sorry," he spoke quietly. "I've lost people too." His gaze left the amulet and met my curious eyes once more. "My wife. Hunters."

I hesitated and gripped the amulet tighter. "... My boyfriend. Demons."

"So you see why we need to stop them?"

I paused before answering, fixing him with a cold gaze. "I want demons gone just as much as the next person. But I don't see how turning innocent people is going to accomplish that. If anything... doesn't it create more targets?"

"Maybe. Or it creates safety in numbers." We both fell silent for a moment, eyes locked as we both awaited the other's next move. "Have you ever bitten anyone?" he asked.

"Twice. It was an accident," I answered.

"Dead?"

I nodded.

Dante hummed and buried his hands in his pockets, once more gazing into a distant horizon that I couldn't see. "To be honest, I don't know why the bite rates are going up," he replied with a shrug. "It could be fear – maybe they think inflating our numbers will make us harder to kill."

"Death comes for everyone eventually."

"And his pale horse," Dante murmured, lost in thought. "Doesn't mean we can't delay the inevitable. I don't know about you, but I don't want the future you saw." I grimaced at the thought of the barren wasteland, littered with monster corpses. "I wonder why the demon chose to show it to you."

"He didn't think we could do anything to stop it."

"What do you think?"

I hesitated. "I think... I don't know what we're trying to stop. The apocalypse, end of days, death of our species, sure. But I just... can't comprehend that."

"But he can, somehow," he said, in reference to the white wolf. "But I think he's been preparing for the end of our species for a thousand years."

I dropped my gaze to my hand, still clenched in a tight fist around the amulet. My heart hammered in my chest at the thought. A thousand years of preparation, we still didn't know what we were up against. How much of it was real?