Chapter Four - Right in front of you

Comenzar desde el principio

"I can do far more than you can that's for sure. You wanna see flowers? I'll give you flowers!" She raised her fist at him threateningly.

"Hey, Luz!" I turned toward Hunter seeing him waving at me from a table filled with other Level ones. "You should come over here so we can discuss our tactics." I smiled giving Willow one last look and chuckling when I saw the guy had a vine around his neck and another level three was holding Willow back. Making it to the table I recognized some of the level ones however I only knew Viney and Hunter by name. That was until my eyes caught sight of Skara off to the side.

She'd been hovering her hand over the table and spreading ice along the top of it absentmindedly. "Hey Luz," Viney drew my attention to her as she moved to make room next to her, "are you excited about the game?" She asked me and I slowly went to sit in the spot next to her.

"Yeah, I guess so," I mumbled and turned to see Hunter flipping a packet of papers around in his hand. 

"I've heard The Six always win though. Too strong for any one-level group to handle given their skillset. Still, I've heard it's a lot of fun to take part in and it helps build teamwork." She looked off to the side for a moment before continuing. "We can only work with people of the same level as us so that is why we need to come up with a plan together," Viney said with excitement and it led me to smile.

"It seems simple enough." He mumbled with furrowed brows as he read from the papers. "The rules are simple. We can only work with people of our level and we can use our powers to get the flag from them by any means necessary." He continued to flip through the packet with laser focus until he jumped back bringing his hand with him.

"Ouch." He mumbled looking down at his finger. "Paper cut." He looked up and Viney chuckled at him before taking his hand in hers and bringing it close. She encased his hand, wrapping it in hers as she closed her eyes. Letting his hand go he looked at her gratefully as the cut was completely gone.

"Thanks." He told her and she winked while giving him a finger gun.

"No problem. I've been working on my craft. I want to help where I can." I admired her for her willingness to help others. Her power matched her well given the care she holds for others. A cool breeze passed through my hair and we all turned to look at Skara. Snowflakes fell from above us and there was a pile of snow where her lunch tray was. She picked it up and blew the snow off showing that her food was surrounded by ice.

"Oops." She mumbled as she picked up one of the ice cubes of food looking sad. "I thought I had better control that time." She spoke sadly and Hunter pushed his tray of food offering it to her.

"Here, you can have some of mine. I ate enough already." He gave her a warm smile.

"Are you sure?" She asked him hesitantly and he gave her a nod. "Thanks, Hunter." She told him gratefully and he waved her off before looking toward me.

"So, here is the plan we came up with. I'm pretty fast so Skara and you can distract them while I try to use my speed to get passed them and grab that flag." I smiled and gave him a nod before exchanging a glance with Skara. We worked with each other pretty well together before. The familiar pairing gave me some comfort.

"We got this," Skara said confidently holding out her fist toward me. I gave her a fist pump already feeling better about our chances of winning this game.

"Yeah, they better watch out for us level ones!" I threw my fist into the air cheering.

"They won't know what hit them!" Viney continued inspired by my positivity.

"Attention recruits," Belos's voice began over the loudspeaker, "the game will commence shortly. I wish you all the best of luck." The speaker cut out but not without feedback leaving me with my ears ringing. An image flashed across my mind because of it. One I wanted to shove back down and never think of again.