Chapter One - Caught

Start from the beginning

The Collectors come to check in on residents regularly to ensure no one gets away from their detection. I've done everything in my power to avoid them and their program for the gifted. I stay unnoticed, I make no friends, and I keep off of the radar. This is something I had been doing most of my life without powers and I had no intention of changing that now that I had them. Getting caught in association or not wasn't the plan then and it certainly isn't the plan now if I can help it.

Today the Collectors were making their weekly visit to the school. All I had to do was keep my head down and not raise any alarms or suspicion from them. Soon they would make their rounds and move on like always. I'd avoided them for this long and even now that I was one of those they sought what's one more time? I just have to do what I'd always done before and this new situation should make no difference. It hasn't so far. 

So I left the bathroom, now sitting in the living room waiting for my mom to come down the stairs so she could take me to school. I was staring at the TV running the only channel that was programmed into it. The one ran by The Sector now so they had full control over what people knew. Brainwashing, my mother had called it.

I went to grab my backpack only for it to get caught on the glass table. "Seriously?" I mumbled before jerking it up. The force behind my movements led the bag to fly up towards me as I heard it rip. Bringing the bag back up I saw that it had a hole in the bottom and I clenched my hands into fists trying to contain my rage. "Mom," I called out to her, "my backpack just ripped. Do you have an extra one I can borrow?" I asked while moving my hands to rub at my temples.

"I told you to be careful with that one. You've been using it for so long it was bound to break at some point." I could hear her lecture me from a distance and I rolled my eyes letting my shoulders drop. "I think I left your old one in the closet. See if it's in there." I sighed from irritation before turning my head and letting my eyes fall onto the old door.

There was a lot of old stuff in there we barely touch. Most of it belonged to dad and it hurt too much to go through it all so we just packed it away. However, out of sight out of mind can only get you so far until it's not enough to keep the sad thoughts at bay. I made my way over to the door, my feet dragging as the dread I began to feel started to weigh me down.

It took a lot more strength than usual for me to bring my hand up to grip the cold door handle and turn it. My hand pulled back and the door followed along with it as it creaked back at me. As if telling me to go back and close it so the things my father left behind wouldn't overtake me. My eyes caught sight of my old backpack and I made quick work of grabbing it and shutting the door to block the sight of the loss of my father taking physical form in his old things.

I turned around and went straight back to my backpack and began to transfer things from it to my old back while attempting to push back all these thoughts that left me feeling overwhelmed and bitter. I could see a small glimpse of old stuff still in my bag but I thought nothing of it. Too preoccupied with other things than worrying about old school supplies I'd left behind in my bag. My ears began to tune in to the TV playing beside me as I did this.

"A new state-wide curfew is being enforced within our district to further ensure the safety of those who live within our communities. An act meant to help against the threat that these individuals create." Yes, because amongst all the fear and chaos implementing more constricting rules is the best option. I'd thought this sarcastically.

"Every day, more of these gifted people are showing up. If you are aware of someone who possesses these abilities you should report them to the local authorities immediately. We are not taking your children to harm them. We are trying to help them to control their abilities to be used for the good of society." I rolled my eyes at this.