Winter

I sat and looked out against the setting sun, still singing 'happy birthday' to myself softly. I looked out across the horizon and looked out at the sun set.

Suddenly, I heard a noise. It was a voice coming from the theatre. A familiar voice.... BOY GEORGE!!! Boy George and Culture Club were playing at the theatre! Best birthday ever! I walked slowly over to the theatre, but my joints were already starting to freeze up. "I'll have to go inside... If I'm this cold now I'll never make it through.. I'll just sit in the corner of the lobby area in the main bit. Then I'll be warm." I thought to myself. I crept inside and sat in the corner next to the entrance. It was so warm, and I just sat there and listened for about an hour and a half. I love that band. But before I knew it, it was done.

"That's it for tonight's show, but join us at the after party!" I heard Boy George say. The crowd went ballistic and I couldn't be more grateful. It was full on snowing out there and I was happy to stay where I was. Suddenly, the theatre door that was leading into the room Culture Club had just been performing in swung open. I tried to curl into the corner even more to not be seen. "What an odd looking person," I thought to myself. I leant forward a bit to try and see the person better. "No.... It can't be," I thought. The person was Boy George!

I huddled into the corner even more, not wanting to be seen. Then the last thing I wanted to happen happened. I sneezed. Loudly. Boy George stopped in his tracks and time seemed to stand still for a moment. I huddled up, not wanting to be seen. I had never actually seen him in real life, and I had no idea how he behaved or anything. I just knew he had good music. Then the absolute worst thing happened. He turned around and saw me. His face showed an expression I hadn't seen for a long, long time. Sympathy. I sat there staring at him, confused and scared. So confused and scared I thought I was actually going to throw up. I was also, strange as it was, excited. Boy George was here. I was in the same room as Boy George! As he walked over slowly, I held his stare, and didn't drop my gaze or blink. Before I knew it he was right there in front of me, looking down at me with his, well, I don't really know what colour his eyes were, but he was looking down at me with them.

He then did something no one has ever done to me before. He knelt down, his eyes level with mine now, put his hand on my shoulder and said a very strange word."Gesundheit,"

"Pardon," I said, completely confused by the word. I wasn't the best at English and Spelling and all that.

"Gesundheit," he stated again, smiling slightly, "You sneezed, and when someone sneezes, it's manners to say 'bless you' or 'gesundheit'. I prefer 'gesundheit' it sounds better I think. It comes from Germany, it more or less means health."

"Um," I said not sure what to say to that, "Ok then." I tried to back up against the wall even further.

"Oh I'm sorry," he said, "I'm Boy George, nice to meet you," he stated, and held out his hand. I just stared at it, not sure what it was there for. "You shake it," he explained, still smiling. It was almost like he could read my thoughts. I reached out my own hand and shook his. "And you are?"

"I'm Carly," I answered, "Carly Wyler." He just sat there looking at me. It seemed he wasn't sure what do to either. "I'm sorry Mr. Boy George, I really am. I didn't want to disrupt you on what you were out here doing. You can just leave me here. I'll be fine." But I really didn't believe that myself.

He sat down in front of me and crossed his legs. "I'm not letting you go out there alone," he stated firmly, "And, if you don't mind me asking, do you actually have somewhere to go?"

"Well, no," I answered, "I ran away from my foster home and I am alone now," A tear running down my cheek. It was all too much.

Boy George looked at me with a sad smile. "Carly, it will be alright ok? Here, you want a hug?" He asked calmly, his arms outstretched. I was slightly confused by the gesture but hugged him tight. He was so warm and soft and kind! I had never thought he would ever be so kind. I fell back onto my knees.

"Thank you," I exclaimed. "It's been two years since I've ever been hugged..."

"Well, you can expect it to be happening a lot more now you are going to have a home to go to." He explained.

"What?!" I said shocked, "There is no way I'm going back to a foster home. No way! There horrible there. And I don't know anyone else that would take me permanently that's actually decent."

"Oh I know the perfect person who will take you." Boy George stated smiling almost mischievously.

"Who?"

"Me," he said plainly.

"WHAT!!!" I screeched, "But, but, your Boy George, your lead singer of Culture Club and I just really met you today! I don't want you to have to be burdened by me! No no no you can't be serious!" But in a way I wish he was. Out of everyone he was partially there for me. And he had hugged me. And he was just so kind. If I was going to be adopted by anyone, I would choose him!

"I am deadly serious," he said, "I am not letting you out there with no where to go. Sure I would have to pass through the law, but it's worth it. You are the nicest girl I have ever met, and I want you to be happy. Of course, if you don't want to live with me then you don't have to, but I really really really would like you to. Please?" He said, looking up with I think was an attempt with puppy dog eyes but it looked really funny when he did it.

I stifled a laugh and asked, "Isn't this meant to be the other way round? Me begging you to take me, not you begging me to come!" I said smiling.

He smiled back. "So your coming?"

"Yes I'm coming."

He pumped his fist in the air in triumph. "Thank you so much Carly I promise I will be he best carer ever!"

I smiled and he escorted me to the party area. "But before we go, let's celebrate!" He said.