*nineteen* Remember My Name

It had been a full two weeks since Lucis and Eric had been made officers. They hadn't raised the slightest suspicion of being the survivors that everyone was trying to kill. Oliver was getting better but still couldn't remember Lucis and Eric. To Oliver, they were just two somewhat familiar officers who helped Oliver escape. Oliver's right eye was still blind. But, Oliver's fighting was coming back. Thankfully. Two officers on patrol stumbled upon his cave. Oliver killed them easily with a sharp rock. A rock. Eric found their bodies when he arrived at the cave. It took awhile for the smell to get out of the area. Still, after weeks of being outside, Oliver was still jumpy when he heard the slightest sound. Oliver's hair had lightened to its normal shade and Oliver's skin was no longer as pale. He was still extremely skinny (Lucis and Erick could barely get him any food) and the bags under his eyes were still dark.

"Do you think he'll survive winter?" Eric asked. "He's not doing very well." Lucis shrugged.

"We can only hope."

**

"ATTENTION CADETS!" The young officer yelled at the cadets. The few still streaming in jumped to attention on the spot, heads shooting up, eyes alert. "TWO OF OUR OFFICERS WERE LOST ON PATROL!" The officer yelled, his voice booming across the cavernous room. "WE ARE GOING TO SEARCH THE PERIMETER AND LOOK FOR WHATEVER DID THIS! IF A CADET FINDS THIS, THEY DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN DISHES FOR THE NEXT WEEK! IF ONE OF THE OFFICERS FINDS WHAT DID THIS, YER ALL CLEANING DISHES!" The cadets nodded, rattled by the intensity of his voice. "LET'S GO!" The cadets were the first to run out, eager not to be the one cleaning dishes. Lucis and Eric were the last to leave. Giving each other nervous looks, they closed the door.

Lucis and Eric were the first to find the cave. When they entered, cadets swarming behind them, it was empty. Not a trace of the survivor that lived inside was to be seen. Where's Oliver? Good thing the smell was gone. The cadets left, looking grumpy. Lucis and Eric came out behind them, grateful that Oliver hadn't been there.

"Anything in there?" An officer yelled. Lucis and Eric shook their heads.

"It's empty!"

Thank god.

"Keep searching!"

Everyone obeyed the order and kept moving. Lucis and Eric quietly slid away from the group and started up a little investigation of their own. They swiftly climbed the rocks and jumped down to the other side. They're heads frantically whipped back and forth, hoping to at least get a glimpse of Oliver. But their friend was nowhere to be seen. They looked at each other with a panicked expression. That's when the first cadets rounded the corner. In a flash, unnoticed by the cadets, Lucis and Eric jumped back into searching.

"Find anything?" A nearby cadet asked.

"No." Eric and Lucis said simultaneously. The cadet nodded sadly and returned to his searching.

The search continued for half the day but eventually the disgruntled officers and cadets trekked back inside. Oliver hadn't been found. So, that meant, like the officer had said, the cadets were sentenced for a week of cleaning dishes. But as anger filled the hearts of the officers and cadets, relief filled Lucis and Eric's. Oliver had gotten away. But they still didn't know where he was.

**

Cafeteria. 9:00 AM. Eric and Lucis had been posted to watch over the cadets in the cafeteria. They were loud, as most children are, and messy. Lucis and Eric would much prefer to be looking for Oliver. Wherever their friend was. That's when mash potatoes almost hit Eric in the head.

**

The cadet apologized over and over again to the older officer Eric and Lucis had met on their first day here. The officer didn't listen to him. He was seething with anger.

"You and five other cadets just decided to have a food fight which you all know is strictly forbidden." The older man hissed. If this had been a cartoon, there would be jets of steam shooting out of his ears. Lucis and Eric could practically see it.

"I'm sorry!" The boy begged. "I didn't mean it! I was trying to get some girl to like me!"

"Some girl!" The officer yelled. "That girl must feel really lucky to have a rule breaker like her! That girl must love it to have a former cadet to try to impress her!"

"F-Former cadet?" The boy stuttered. The older officer leaned in, spit sailing out of his mouth.

"You heard me, boy."

That was the last time Lucis and Eric saw someone break the rules. Ever.

**

Every chance they got, Lucis and Eric would search for their friend. But each time, they came back empty handed. The officers dropped the subject like a dead fly saying 'there are a lot more cadets on the way, it was just two men'. But to Lucis and Eric, Oliver's life wasn't just two men. In the state Oliver was in, Oliver wouldn't be able to survive the zombies. Even though he could fight, a blind eye wouldn't do him no good against a group of zombies. But that didn't stop Lucis and Eric. It never did.

**

Midnight. Lucis was free and away. No one would miss him. Lucis stepped off the mountain. Eric would cover for him if he didn't make it back by morning. Or ever. Lucis brushed the thought out of his mind. I'll make it back. He thought. With Oliver. He trudged on.

4:30 AM. No luck. Lucis even resorted to yelling Oliver's name. He didn't care if the zombies heard him. He would mow them down easily. His wrist had healed ages ago so he was able to use his gun again. He walked forward, gun banging at his side, yelling his friend's name. No response. The street was silent. The houses were cold. Wait, the houses. Lucis jumped into action and ran down the street, hoping he could find the house before sunrise. And he did. Long before sunrise. He opened the door, just remembered they had left the traps out, and jumped them. The house was just how Lucis remembered it. It was the exact same from how he and Eric had left it. He's not here. Lucis thought. If he was, things here would have changed. There was a shuffling sound that made Lucis' head shoot up. Oliver's head was peaking around the corner.

"We have to go Oliver!" Lucis said, thankful that he had found his friend.

"I can't go." Oliver said, still hiding behind the wall corner.

"What do you mean you can't go?" Lucis asked.

"I hurt Eric, Lucis." Oliver said plainly, like the fact was obvious. "He doesn't want me back. I see it in his eyes." Lucis' eyes flared. He knew what Oliver was talking about. He had seen Eric show the same anger as the cadets and officers when they couldn't find Oliver. He had seen a flash of hate in Eric's eyes when they had first seen Oliver in the cell. Eric didn't care about Oliver at all. Lucis narrowed his eyes.

"Don't worry Oliver." He said. "I'll make sure he wants you to come back."