Sandstone

Chapter 10

At the island mentioned.

It wasn't obvious the SandWing was on the island until they were on it. Her scales blended in with the sand on the beach as she held perfectly still.

Once they had landed, however, it was quite clear.

Amber was immediately on guard. She hadn't survived this long because of bad reflexes. None of them had. The SandWing was met with five stares of suspicion.

"Sandstone?" Chestnut raised an eyebrow. "How? Why?"

"But you..." Alligator trailed off.

"Are you the one who slashed them?" Amber glared at Sandstone. Despite not having venom in her tail, it was clearly audible in her voice.

"I am also the one who told them the antidote," Sandstone said coolly. "And I want to help."

Amber snorted. "How do I know you're not coming to finish us off?"

"Because I'm only one dragon against the five of you. And I can't go back to the camp anyway. I barely escaped with my life."

"What?"

Sandstone regarded her with half-closed eyes. "Blister doesn't do well with disloyal soldiers."

"How are you disloyal?" Fawn asked.

"Well, I helped them, didn't I? I have a bit too much of a heart for Blister's liking."

"How did she know?" Morass had a skeptical look in her eyes. 

"She has everyone spy on each other," Sandstone said. "That way, she knows when we put so much as a talon out of line."

Amber watched her with suspicion. "And what could you do to help us?"

"Well, I could help you find the antidote. I assume you don't know what the Brightsting cactus looks like? Or how to apply it to the wound?"

"Why would you help us?" Chestnut finally asked. "You already told us the antidote, what's in it for you if you help us?"

Sandstone paused at that. "I'm not sure why I'm helping you, really. I guess that previously mentioned heart that Blister hated. I don't believe you murdered Tempest."

"How nice of you." Alligator rolled his eyes. "One SandWing in the entire place who sees reason."

"Fine," Amber said. "But we need to get going. It's at least four days to the desert, maybe more if the venom holds us back." She scowled at Sandstone.

Sandstone shrugged. "I did what I had to do. Fennec would've made it a lot more painful."

"Enough talking," Amber snapped. "Let's just get going."

They all took off, the MudWings splitting their attention between their hurt sibs and Sandstone. Just because she said she would help them didn't mean they immediately trusted her. Why should we, after all? We live during a war.

They flew that way for two days, flying towards the antidote.