8. Position

"So, both Rayleigh and Deborah were attacked last night" Patty stated

"Yeah..." Ethan said deep in thought

"What are you thinking about?" Patty asked

"Were we wrong all along?" Ethan says, "could the shooter have been someone else completely?"

"Here's the footage from the road surveillance camera as you request" officer McKernan says as he sets a laptop in front of the detectives. Patty plays the clip and the two watch it closely

"That is certainly a man" Ethan noted

"...the shooter is also right handed as opposed to the patrician killer who we know is left-handed," Patty added

Ethan rewatches the clip and pauses the video at the point where the car's license plate was visible 'DO-2306-VE'.

"Officer McKernan, can you find out who this plate number is registered to"

"On it!" McKernan says before taking off

"Rayleigh described a similar event to me, a man in a car shot at her and drove away," Patty said

"You think that's the same person that attacked Deborah?"

"Yes," she replied, "How's Deborah feeling after all that?" Patty asked

"Not good. She asked that I take her home and didn't say anything else."

Patty nods, "Rayleigh also went home after the shooting - her actual home" she said.

Later, Officer McKernan returned, "the car is registered to this guy" he says placing the man's picture on the desk, "Ralph Bronte..." he continued "...lives at No. 149 Ivory street"

"Come on" Patty says as she picks up her car keys from her desk before making her way out of the station to her car, Ethan following her.

They drive to the location and find the car parked right in front of the house, "this is definitely the place." Ethan says as he takes out his gun. The two push the door and it swings open. They rush into the house and are greeted by the rotting corpse not far from the door

"is that--"

"Ralph Bronte... Looks like someone got here before us"

***

Ethan walked into the police station two coffee cups in his hand. He placed one on Patty's desk before turning on his laptop

"You're here, good" a familiar voice from behind says. He turns to see Patty, her hair all messed up with dark circles under her eyes

"What happened to you?" He asked

"I was researching,"

"How long have you been here? Did you get any sleep?"

"I'm fine" she waved picking up the coffee and taking a sip from it, "i did some more digging into that Ralph Bronte dude and you'd never believe what i found about him."

"What did you find?"

"Two months ago, his account was credited with three million pounds"

"Why?"

"Not sure but it came from one FHN Group. Guess who owns FHN group"

"I... Have no idea. Who owns it?"

"Williams Shipping company"

"You think Jamie's the killer?"

Patty shrugs before taking a sip from the coffee, "the real question is why did he pay 3 million of the Queen's finest to Ralph who used to be part of a crime syndicate by the way"

"Crime syndicate?"

"Yes, he was arrested sometime ago and was facing up to 47 years in prison but agreed a plea deal where he testified for the prosecution against other members of the crime syndicate and was sentenced to two years instead,"

"Well, judging by this guy past record he could work as a hired gun but why would Jamie pay someone to make an attempt on both Rayleigh and Deborah?"

"Maybe it's just a distraction, I don't have all the answers," Patty rolled her eyes, lifting the cup to her mouth but Ethan stops her "you should really get some sleep." he says

"I'm fine... Let's go talk to Jamie"

"Would he have time for us?"

Patty frowns, "He better or i'll personally drag him here in cuffs."

"You... Really need some rest"

.

An hour later, Patty returned all freshen up and the two head to company's main building where they had to wait for Jamie for nearly four hours because 'Mr. Williams is a very busy man with a very busy schedule'.

Later, Jamie's secretary appeared and guides the detectives to her boss' office.

"Detectives." Jamie said as they took a seat in front him

"Sorry for coming on a short notice but we have a very important question for you,"

Jamie gives them a small nod indicating they go ahead

"Do you know this man, his name is Ralph Bronte," Patty said sliding the picture across the table.

Jamie picks up the picture and takes a close look at it before shaking his head, "I'm afraid i don't know who this is"

"Really?" Patty said, "Mr. Williams do you know anything about FHN Group?"

"Of course," Jamie replied "It is a subsidiary of the shipping company"

"Right, FHN Group paid this man," she said pointing to the picture on the desk, "3 million pounds two months ago..."

"That's impossible," Jamie said unfazed "FHN Group have been closed for three months now and we do not plan to reopen it until later this year"

"Mr. Williams..." Ethan said calmly "...as trivial as you think this information might be, it could help us a lot. So please, give us your full cooperation"

"Full cooperation?" Jamie laughs, "you think anyone in Golden Hill still thinks the police can solve this case? come on detective," he said "almost a year now and you don't even have a main suspect"

"Mr. W--"

"We have all lost hope in the police. I have already contacted a private investigator, the very best. She will begin her investigation of this case very soon." He stated "Quinn Kings, i heard you might have crossed path with her detective Kane"

"I--"

"If there's nothing else, i'll appreciate if you two leave now. I still have other appointments."

Ethan sighs, "thank you for your time." He said before walking out of the office

"Jamie's hiding something." Ethan says as they stepped out of the building

"Yes, why else would he lie about Ralph Bronte."

Patty unlocked the car and they both enter, "Quinn Kings, is she really good?" Ethan asked

"She's..." Patty starts the car, "...Overrated"

"I'm sensing a little hostility there,"

"There's no hostility... It's a fact" she says, "so what do you say we go find out why Jamie paid someone 3 million?"

Ethan looks at his watch "I actually have to meet with Deborah. Can we move that to later today" he says

Patty's lips twitch upwards "oh?"

"It's not like that" he defended "I still think she might be the killer so i want to find out more about her and why she'd kill all those people"

"Sure," Patty drawled, "i'll drop you off at Golden Hill and go to find more about Ralph Bronte"

.............