Ch 4

Fawn's POV

Alastor and I spent a good amount of time in his office "finding me a place to work".

We did find me a position. He asked if I just wanted to resume my old job helping Niffty out and I said yes. That was the end of the conversation.

From that point on was spent catching up...minutes melted into hours. It felt like that had barely been any time between us at all as we fell back into comfortability with one another.

He told me all about his time in hell and how he got to where he is...and honestly, I'm not surprised. He always had a flare for the dramatic.

I sat and listened with a smile on my face, leaned forward with my elbows on his desk as if he were serenading me.

It was satisfying watching as little by little his body became more relaxed.

Neither of us had even realized how long we'd been in his office talking until a knock came to the door and Charlie's voice cut through our conversation about hell's politics.

I'd found out that he and Thomas are something called overlords...and that Thomas has made it his afterlife goal to pester the shit out of Al.

Unsurprisingly.

"Um...Alastor? Fawn? You two have been in there for a while...I was just wondering if—"

Alastor flicked his wrist and I turned towards the door and watched as nearly everyone I've met up to this point fell into the room in a big heap.

My eyes widened and Charlie blinked before looking up at Al with a big guilty smile.

Have they been eavesdropping on us?!

I turned back to Alastor and he had a very tired, irritated look on his smiling face. He blinked slowly, not taking his eyes off the pile of spies.

Then Angel Dust popped up from the pile, nearly sending poor Niffty flying as he pointed at us with all of his hands.

"You two are a thing?! Why'd smiles act like he ain't even know ya?" Angel asked with sass, cocking his hip to the side and resting his fist against it.

I opened my mouth to answer and defend Al, and then I realized that I don't even have an answer to that yet.

So, I turned to him and titled my head, raising an eyebrow.

"Yea, why did you do that?" I asked him, obviously unamused.

It wasn't until I joined in that his expression changed from irritated to slightly nervous.

He sat back in his chair and sighed.

"I'd rather not—"

"Now, Alastor."

"I couldn't believe it was you."

His expression went serious as he looked directly at me, ignoring our audience and talking solely to me.

I stayed silent, and he realized I was waiting for him to go on.

His eyes softened slightly and his ears nearly laid down as he shook his head and looked down.

"I was convinced that you went to heaven. It's been...so long. When I saw you in that alleyway, my heart nearly stopped again. I couldn't believe it...I didn't believe it. Then you showed up here and I...I realized my mistake."

He cleared his throat and realized how vulnerable he'd just been in front of all his friends and promptly straightened up.

"But I was trying not to spring it so suddenly on all the others. I have quite the solid reputation down here as I'm sure miss Vagatha would've tried to shove down your throat had I left you alone with her longer than two seconds."